Baby beard stitch

Shawlmaker

Question

This should be the easiest fastest project, but I can't get out of the gate. 

The Pattern

Row 4: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in same st (Increase). Sc in each sc across 4sc total). 

The Problem

I never seem to have enough stitches to Sc. Do I go straight down from hook into itself? If I do, it's hard to get the hook through the 2 loops. And if I do, the other stitches seem to disappear into a mess. Any help?  

20171128_155554.jpg

20 answers to this question

Thanks, ladies!!! I'm a newbie, so I don't totally know yet what you're saying, but I'm quite relieved to know it's not just me having problems with this pattern! And I paid for it! Yes, there are loops that feed into a hat, and there is a mustache involved. I'll circle back tomorrow. Thanks ever so much! 

When 2 row are identical, the designer can say "repeat row #." If there's anything different, they write each row. The difference between row 3 and row 4 is the optional instructions to add eyelash fun fur. 

Believe it or not, but some people would try to add another strand of fun fur, if the designer said "repeat row 3." To be clear, the designer chose to write row 4.

Stuck again on new pattern. :( Lord help me!

Row 3: Add a strand of Fun Fur eyelash... I don't want to, but do I continue with the rest of #3? If so, why is Row 4 repeating what is said in Row 3 without saying "repeat row 3?"

#6 below says repeat row 5. What is considered row 5? Does it actually mean #5?

Instructions 

1. Ch 35, sc in second ch from hook and in each st across. 34 sc

2. Ch1, turn, sc across

3. Add a strand of Fun Fur eyelash yarn if desired. Ch1, turn, sc dec over first 2 st, sc to last 2 st, sc dec

4. Ch 1, turn, sc dec over first 2 st, sc to last 2 st, sc dec

5. Ch 1, turn, sc in next 5 st, hdc in next st, dc in next 18 st, hdc in next st, sc in last 5 st

6. Repeat row 5...

Yay, glad you found another pattern (those pics are hilarious with the eyelash yarn). 

I'm sorry you got burned by a bad pattern; if you are in Ravelry, you should put up a project and comment on the pattern errors to warn others.  Although there are lots of well written ones, I have seen so many incoherent free patterns on blogs, I'm sure that there are legions of poor pattern writers trying to get money for their efforts.  

I've been following this thread. Now I'm jumping in. Not only is it confusing, it's got errors. It would be confusing for someone with a lot of experience, let alone a relative newbie! 

Row 10 has an error. The instructions are for 3 stitches, but the count is 4. Row 9 ends with 5 stitches. Here's what the instructions say, by stitch...

Stitches 1-2: decrease to 1 sc

Stitch 3: no instructions. It's an unknown. 

Stitch 4: sc

Stitch 5: sc

You can guess that stitch 3 is an sc. Instead of guessing, I would contact the designer or publisher (book/magazine). It might take several days to hear back, but you'd get answers about the error and about the weird ch2 in the previous rows.

Hi, GS! Thanks so much for "rewriting the code" for me. :-) I'm excited I'm out of the gate; however, I'm stuck on Row 10. I keep ending up with 3 SC, not 4. Also, am I really supposed to skip stitches by jumping to the last 2 sc? Seems weird.

------

ROW 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and in remaining chains to the end (3sc total).
ROW 2-3: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across (3sc total). (3sc total).
ROW 4: Ch 1. Turn. 2 Sc in first SC (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (4sc total).
ROW 5: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across (4sc total).
ROW 6: Ch 1. Turn. 2 Sc in first SC (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (5sc total).
ROW 7-9: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across. (5sc total).

ROW 10: Ch 1. Turn. Dec (decrease: hook in sc; yo; pull up loop; hook in next sc; yo; pull through all 3 loops on hook). Sc in last 2 sc across (4sc total).

ROW 11: Rep ROW 5

20171130_081429.jpg

It's a confusing pattern, it's not just you - I kept re-reading, re-interpreting what it was trying to say, and then changing my mind as I was typing a response!  Hopefully following the end stitch count will work satisfactorily.  (and to the OP, it's not 'just you' either!)

13 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Hi Magic, I hit post when I saw your post pop up.  The thing is, looking closer at the non-increase rows, the chain isn't counted as a stitch.  Just the first row into the foundation chain.

oops!  thank you Granny Square.  I took it at its word when it says to count the tch as a st, then didn't count well when i looked at the rows.   :loco   color me easily confused!  

Hi Magic, I hit post when I saw your post pop up.  The thing is, looking closer at subsequent increase rows, you don't start with 2 turning chains, and on non increase rows, the 1 turning chain doesn't count.  (edit to the OP - making extra chains at the end of a row isn't an impossible way to do an increase.  I've seen it done before, but it's usually to make something that really sticks out by a lot of stitches like the sleeve of a T-shirt; but I've never seen it to increase by 1 or 2 stitches)

I was going to add, to the OP:  does the pattern later mention attaching something to that initial loop made on the first row?  That's the only reason I can think of to have 2 turning chains there, instead of 1.

As written this does not jibe with the end stitch count.  If you chain 4, sc in the 3rd chain from the hook instead of the 2nd, and SC in the remaining 4th chain, you have 2 sc, not 3.  Actually 2 sc with a loop on one end.  If the designer had always used 2 turning chains instead of 1, I could see it as a decorative thing, but not just doing it on the first.  Putting 1 stitch into 1 chain, or into 1 stitch, is never an increase for SC.  Unless, she is trying to say, put 1 stitch into the first stitch, and 1 stitch into all the stitches (including the first one again, which counts as an increase).  Perhaps English isn't her first language? 

What I would do is work it conventionally to achieve the stitch count at the end of the row.  In other words:

Keeping a 10-12” tail, ch4
ROW 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and in remaining chains to the end (3sc total).
ROW 2-3: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across (3sc total). (3sc total).
ROW 4: Ch 1. Turn. 2 Sc in first SC (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (4sc total).
ROW 6: Ch 1. Turn. 2 Sc in first SC (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (5sc total).

The rest of the rows, for the decreases, are conventionally written.

this pattern is pretty unusual in that it *does* count the turning chain as an sc.  so you are supposed to stitch into that chain.  i think you will find it more easily if you place a marker in the turning chain after you make it---use a loop of yarn, or a bobby pin or similar, and just stick it into the stitch.  then you can pull it out later.  

This is most of the directions:

Note: First ch in each row counts as 1 sc.

Keeping a 10-12” tail, ch4
ROW 1: Sc in 3rd chain from hook. Sc in last ch (3sc total).
ROW 2-3: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across (3sc total).
ROW 4: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in same st (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (4sc total).
ROW 6: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in same st (Increase). Sc in ea sc across (5sc total).
ROW 7-9: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in ea sc across. (5sc total).
ROW 10: Ch 1. Turn. Dec (decrease: hook in sc; yo; pull up loop; hook in next sc; yo; pull
through all 3 loops on hook). Sc in last 2 sc across (4sc total).
ROW 11: Rep ROW 5
Mustache Bridge:
Ch 5. Sl st to last sc of Row 3...

It looks like you have just finished row 1, which has 2 SC in it, have chained 1 and are about to turn (I'm assuming you are right handed).  But, you are talking about row 4.  

Here is your photo, turned for you.  I've made a red line over the 2 loops you are to work into/under.  If you were asking whether you were to work into the turning chain, no-if the pattern meant that, it should have specifically said that, because it would be a really unorthodox thing to do (not impossible, but not something I've run into after nearly 50 years of crocheting, and if that was meant I'd have expected more explanation).

What throws me a little is the wording.  If you were working in DC, normally you chain 3, turn, and skip the first stitch (because the chain 3 'stands in for' the first DC, so you skip the first stitch to avoid increasing).  But if you WANT to increase by 1 there, you would DC into the first DC.  But this isn't DC.  I'm also curious to see the pattern as Magiccrochetfan asked- please link to it if it's free on the 'net.

2 sc.jpg

Archived