Sign in to follow this  
StephanieW

Help with reading pattern

Hi!

I'm working on a pattern for my 8 year old nephew - a poop emoji hat (I know but he'll be so happy!).  Anyway, at Row 8 the pattern calls for me to "crochet into row 6 stitches, just above the sl st."  I don't know what this means and can't find out any info online.  If anyone can help, I would be forever grateful.  Thanks so much!

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  You will make your stitches into row six, this will create a fold probably.  Not sure about the sl st part.

for more detailed answer, tell us the name and location of the pattern

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

Crocheting into anything means to insert your hook where specified and crochet as normal. So, instead inserting your hook in the next stitch, you're going to insert your hook in row 6's stitch. On row 5 or 6 you did slip stitch(es). Where you insert your hook is right above the slip stitch(es).

By the way, I can't open the file. That's good, because it's against forum rules to post patterns that someone else created. You can post a link to the page where the pattern is located. You can also type out 1 or 2 rows where you're confused. Type the rows exactly as it appears in the pattern. 

Stephanie, your link to the pdf works for me.  Like Sharon said, doing this is actually distributing the pattern and only the copyright holder has the right to do that.   So it will be best if you would delete the link.  

then you can type out in a post the pattern lines you need help with.

Since i've now seen the patter i will go ahead and try to help with it.  in row 7 you slip stitched into row 6.  now row 8 says to stitch into row 6 "right above the slip stitch".  my slip stitches are so narrow they sort of melt into the other stitches, so i am not sure how this is supposed to turn out, I can't really imagine it, but again i would guess it is intended as shaping.  just skip over the sl sts and crochet into row 6.  

it's confusingly written for me---shouldn't it say BELOW the slip stitch?  there is nothing above the slip stitches until you make row 8. 

(Unless you are supposed to crochet into the "back bump" of the hdc, which would make a ridge especially with the sl sts in row 7.   here are a couple of references in case that is it.  http://www.storey.com/article/crochet-into-back-bump-video/    http://www.mooglyblog.com/third-loop-half-double-crochet/      This may not be what the pattern means so I apologize for muddying the waters!)  

Hi  and Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

Thank you all for your help, I will put it to good use tonight.  I thought as much about the pattern, but didn't know how else to show it.  I have deleted it.

Thank you again.  I'll let you know how it all goes!

Stephanie

• Like 1