Doubling the size of a blanket

Deb B.

Question

Hello to All,

I am a beginner, however I've picked up the basics pretty quickly. I've completed my first scarf, and now I'm starting on a beginner pattern for a blanket. I would like to make it for my mom, but the pattern says finished size is 29" 38". Seems pretty small to me, maybe for a toddler. I'd like to double it. The pattern starts with ch 101, then dc in 5th ch from hook, skip 2 ch, v-stitch (repeat for the rest of the row) and, well basically the whole blanket, changing color every so often for stripes. Can I simply double the chain count and go from there? Thought I would ask before I spend an hour stitching to figure it out. :)

Thanks in advance.

Deb B.

5 answers to this question

What you can do is make a chain a bit longer than you think you need, turn, and work back in the stitch pattern until you get to the point where you can't repeat any more, then turn and continue with your blanket.  You can pick out the extra chains later & weave in the end, crochet does not unravel from the beginning end. I always throw in a few extra chain when there's a large number, even though I do count, in case I lost my mind somewhere.  Nothing worse than working over 299 stitches and finding you're 1 chain short of the 300 you needed....

Keep in mind that you will need 4 times the yarn that the baby blanket calls for. By the way, 58"x78" is pretty big; most 'throws' are in the 47" x 60"-72" or so range.  A twin blanket is 66x90 for reference.

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  Since every row is the same, it should be pretty easy to double.   What I would do is double it then add about another 15 chains as a cushion in case of miscounting.  Then work your first row until it's as wide as you want, and ignore any unused chains.  When you're finished you can unpick the chains you didn't need and weave in that yarn tail.  

Archived