Acrylic yarn

Jerseyp17

Question

Hi! I'm new to crochet and was excited to find some black and hot pink yarn in the clearance area at Michael's - just the colors I needed.

I made one of the fingerless gloves in my project and to mg dismay learned that the yarn stretched a lot. It's Craft Smart 100% acrylic.  Any tips on what to make with a yarn like this? I'm frustrated that my glove was a waste of time and when I asked about "worsted weight" at Michael's, no one knew what I needed, I don't see that info on the label. With so many different brands and yarns, how do I know what to use for what project?  

Thanks everyone! 

6 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to Crochetville.

I've not used Michael's Craft Smart yarn before (no Michael's here), but, I did check their website and it lists this yarn as a "medium weight (4)". They do not list a hook size to use that I can see but, most 4 weight yarns work well with I/9 hooks or a H/8 if your stitches are loose.

Does your pattern list what size hook to use? Is their a gauge listed in the pattern? And is their a link to your pattern online?

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Most yarns are stretchy. Also, most yarn at a big box store, like Michael's, is acrylic or an acrylic blend. Yarn that is loosely wound is stretchier than tightly wound yarn. You can cut down on stretch by using shorter stitches and a tighter tension. Going down in hook size may help.

Here's a link for yarn weights and the various names for them on labels...

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

Here's some tips on yarn...

You're welcome! 

By the way, those gloves look really stretchy. The wrists are made with blo (back loop only.) Blo is a very stretchy stitch. The hand part is hdc, which can be stretchy when made loosely. You may find that your gloves are stretchy no matter what you do. If you have small hands, try reducing the number of rows in the wrist and the number of stitches in the hand rows.

Late to the party here, good advice above.  I have used the Craftsmart brand for 1 project (a knitted cardigan).  I would not call it stretchy compared to it's counterparts --if anything, maybe a little less so, it was a tad stiffer and scratchier than, example, Red Heart Super Saver (which is the most common/available yarn in that weight).  I didn't play the video, but a good pattern would give you a stitch gauge to follow, and give you finished measurements so you could finagle it to fit you better. Gloves need to stretch so you can get them on (especially the cuffs), but they should snap back and not be really loose once they're on.  

Archived