Scallop edging for matinee coat

Sherri Hicks

Question

Pattern reads for Edging on neck:

With WS facing, rejoin yarn to neck edge with 1 ch, work 1 dc in each st round neck,turn

Next row: (RS) 1 ch, 1 dc in first st, 1 dc in each of next 34 sts, miss 1 st, 1 dc in each st to end, turn

Next row: 4 ch, miss first 2 sts, *1 tr in next st, 1 ch, miss next st; rep from * to last st, 1 tr in last st.

Now work scallops as for Sleeve down right front edge to beg of Skirt, work scallops as before down edge of Skirt,

working into spaces between rows, work in skirt patt along lower edge of Skirt, work scallops as before up edge of Skirt,

and scallops as before up to neck, then work scallops along neck edge.  Fasten off.

Make scallops thus:

1 ch, 1 dc in first ch sp, *5 tr in next ch sp, 1 dc in next ch sp; rep from * to end. Fasten off.

My question is after working the last row for the neck edge am I supposed to fasten off there or do I begin from the last stitch in the last row?  Pattern does not say

5 answers to this question

Hello again :)  I've tried to find a picture of what the finished coat looks like but can't find it  (Patons 4621 from an earlier post) .   

I am going to guess it's because the last row you just finished at the neck edge was a wrong side facing row, so if you simply turned and continued the instructions above, it would put the scallops wrong side facing out.  If you count the instructions you typed above as 'wrong, right, wrong' etc. you can see the scallop row ends up being 'right'.

http://rockthecradlepatterns.com/?s=4621   That's cute!  

Well, I can see that the shells appear to be made with the side facing you as you make them, facing outside on the bodice.  It doesn't make a huge difference; the bottom of the back sides of DCs are more dimensional on the back side.  

Example, this is 'sort of a shell' pattern that I'm working on, the front side rows are the top and third one; you can see how the second and forth rows look a little different.scan0009a.jpg.419491a87e94362dd26900d7864093a9.jpg

You will be working the top neck edge, where the ribbon weaves in and out and then the scallop stitches above that (the ribbon will be woven where it says "tr, ch1" - this will make a space for the ribbon).  So you want to start at the wrong side of the neck edge, and working up (toward the face) from there...I'm not sure if that's where you left off or not (by your definition of "last".

Archived