cow romper pattern help

blujeans1008

Question

hello everyone. i need help with a couple things on a cow romper pattern.

1st thing i need help with is

on the leg placket (romper back only)

attach color a (white) to bottom inside of back pant leg.

row 1: evenly sc 1 row across inside of both pant legs. ch 1, turn

row 2 and 3 work 1 sc in each ch across ch 1, turn.

row 4: work 1 sc in each sc across. finish off.

i am now supposed to attach snaps or velcro (i am using snaps) to inside front and outside back leg placket.

this is the first time ive done something like this. can anyone please help me to understand it better.. any videos to watch?

thanks in advance

2017-11-08 18.16.45.jpg

20171105_221142.jpg

20171105_221205.jpg

20 answers to this question

no need to apologize!  if we were doing this in person, i would pick up the romper and point to where the placket goes , it'd be simple, you are right about that!  doing it in words is hard and i don't even have the ability to draw you a picture on the computer so you could see it.  

right now you have a garment that is completely open at the bottom.  if you were going to finish it without the snaps you would seam the legs.  you could start sewing at the bottom of one leg, sew together the back and front along that "inseam" line, all the way to the bottom of the other leg.  where you would seam, that is where the placket goes on.

Those are adorable!

Usually a pattern will define their stitches, either at the beginning or sometimes at the end.  My stitch encyclopedia has a whole chapter on shell stitches, so there's no ONE thing that is a 'half shell'.  Usually you run into this at the end of a row, where even rows might start and end with a sc, and odd rows will start end with half shells, so the shells fit into each other so to speak.  Shells are usually odd numbers of stitches (3, 5, 7), and the half shells are usually half the stitches 'rounded up' .  You described a basic 3 stitch shell *3 DC in 1 stitch, skip 1 st, sc in next stitch, skip next st, repeat. So half of a 3 stitch shell would be 2 stitches into 1.

hi guys. i wanted to thank you for all your help. i wanted to show you the finished outfits.  here are photos of front and back.

in addition i did have another question on another project. how do you do a half stitch. the pattern im doing now tells me do do 3 dc in one stitch and sk next st then sc in next st.

at the end of row 3 im to do a half shell.

tia again

20171127_181119.jpg

20171127_181303.jpg

@magiccrochetfan

i was kinda thinking the same thing that i could just sew the snaps on without the placket. so for the snaps..the front would snap over the back right. so the snaps would go on the inside front and out side back. if you can picture what i mean

12 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

ok, let's see....you only make a placket on the back half.  so, on the back, start crocheting at the bottom of one leg, up to the crotch, then continue down the other leg.  turn and crochet into each stitch you just made, do that for 4 rows.  then attach the snaps to the outside surface of what you just crocheted, and to the inner surface of the front legs.  the white placket will be hidden under the front legs.

By the way, good choice on using snaps, because velcro can be heck on yarn.  

Magiccrochetfan is right about snaps. Velcro dos not work well with yarn at all.  You might consider getting  a tape with snaps on at the fabric store. I think that would work out a lot better than trying to sew on individual snaps to that crochet work. And I think would hold up better-stronger.

Your romper looks beautiful:). You did great work.

Krys

here's a video she spends a couple minutes on counting rows i think, then at about 2 min she shows working into the stitch sides/row ends.  you can ignore the part where she starts going around the corner, because you do not need to do that; she is going all the way around a square of sc, but you only need to do one edge. 

your pattern doesn't say how many stitches to make so you have to kind of wing it and just do the number of stitches it takes to lie pretty flat.    

the more i think about it, the more tempted I would be to just omit the placket and sew the snaps to the leg as you've made it already.  it might fit a little more tightly but i bet it would be just fine.  

another way to say this---

you know where the snaps are to go.  the placket is forming a foundation on which to sew the snaps.  it's an extension of fabric you've already made, so the snaps on the back and front can overlap.

and I realized that the confusing part may be this: to make the placket, you will not be working into the tops of stitches as you normally do.  you will be stitching into the sides of stitches, into the ends of the rows.  i'll try to link a tutorial on working this way.  

well it seems like you are working from a book or magazine, and there isn't a video apparently, so i don't think you are going to find a video.

can you take a step back and think of it as a logic problem.....if the goal is to be able to open the legs to change the diaper, where do the snaps have to be?  

i'm not in CO lol

you said you understand where the snaps need to go, right?  along the seam on the inside of the leg, isn't it?  so if you were going to seam up the legs, that line is where the placket goes.  

maybe if you sleep on it, it will be more clear in the morning.  

ok, let's see....you only make a placket on the back half.  so, on the back, start crocheting at the bottom of one leg, up to the crotch, then continue down the other leg.  turn and crochet into each stitch you just made, do that for 4 rows.  then attach the snaps to the outside surface of what you just crocheted, and to the inner surface of the front legs.  the white placket will be hidden under the front legs.

By the way, good choice on using snaps, because velcro can be heck on yarn.  

i need help with both the crocheting and the snaps. for the crocheting. i need help with the part of the pattern i attached as a photo. also where i sew the snaps on.

i am familiar with kids clothes that have snaps between the legs. i know thats where they go. im confused about making the leg plackets. how to make that part. im sure its easier than im making it, i cant seem to picture how it goes or where you crochet the plackets. i looked up what plackets look like and that doesnt seem right

the front of the outfit is the one with the big spot at the top in the middle. let me know if you need any other info

2017-11-08 22.22.46.jpg

hi, welcome to the ville!  which part do you need help with, the crocheting or adding the snaps?

in your photos which is the front and which is the back?  and it looks like in the bottom one there is overlap where the legs begin, but i don't see the overlap in the top photo--is that correct?

are you familiar with kids' garments that have snaps along the legs so you can undo them that way for a diaper change?  that seems to be the same thing as this pattern is making.  

Archived