Making neat corners on crceted afgan

MargeeTx

Question

I have crochet a large afgan and want add an interesting edge/ border.    One I did and t corners oozed horrible .  I usually don't use instructions, but I want my corners to be even and to lie flat.  Thanks for your help   Margee

4 answers to this question

For the corners to lie flat, if you are working a plain border of sc, you want to put 3 sc into the corner to "turn" it so it lies flat.  For plain DC, the rule is 5 DC into the corner.  What I like to do is make the middle stitch a chain instead (so, sc, chain, sc -or- 2dc, chain, 2dc).  This turns the corner a little more crisply.

As far as even, I assume what you mean is so it doesn't ripple or pull when you are working into the sides of stitches.  This is sort of a fuzzy area because it depends on you stitch height gauge.  Usually I can get away with 1 sc into the side of sc, and 2 into the side of each DC...but occasionally I might have to throw in an extra stitch (or omit one) now and again to keep it flat.  I think an important rule is to stop and admire you work often, you can see if your border is rippling for example and nip the problem in the bud by adjusting stitches before it gets too far out of hand.

Just like crocheting in the round, you have to increase on a corner to cover the extra space. As granny square said, short stitches need a small increase and taller stitches need more.

I know you don't like patterns, but I highly recommend this book. It explains how to get perfect corners...

https://books.google.com/books/about/Around_the_Corner_Crochet_Borders.html?id=tKHNvCZPd58C&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

Retro-  I actually have this book, so maybe if I follow the directions, I will be ok.   I made 2 Afghan 's last year.   One did beautifully.  The 2nd one would not lie flat at any the 4 corners ( this was a real bummer). I ended up folding it and giving it to our dog Sheldon as a mat for his kennel.    He hasn't complained!

Granny:  I will look for the other book on Amazon.

thanks for your help....margee

Archived