Impossible Gauge

Lexi1179

Question

Hello everyone,

I’m stuck with a gauge issue. Working off a pattern in a book (by Interweave) that has no listed errata. I’ve checked with the author of the pattern (via Ravelry), who insists there is no mistake. No confusion between US and UK terms. No misprint, she says. She mentioned one person who even used a larger hook (3mm) and got the right gauge.

Here are the details needed for a swatch:

YARN: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine (#1; fingering weight).

HOOK: 2.75mm, recommended to adjust hook size up or down to obtain gauge. 

GAUGE: 23sts x 14.5rws = 10cm in DC worked in turned rows.

I have tried half a dozen swatches, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the correct row height. Stitch width comes out correctly with the 2.75mm and even with a 2.5mm. But the row height even with a 2.5 is much too high - almost a whole extra row. When I even tried a 2.0mm hook, the stitch width is too narrow, AND the row height is still way off.

I’ve attached a picture of a swatch done with a 2.5mm hook - forgive the poor quality and lack or proper blocking of the swatch, but trust me, I’ve done that as well, and the row height remains way off even with blocking. After the first few tries, I switched to making half-size swatches, to stop wasting even more yarn and time, so the gauge of the swatch SHOULD be 11.5sts x 7,25rws = 5cm. The stitch width is correct, but as you can see, the row height is off by 8mm.

I cannot fathom how this is happening unless there WERE a mistake in the pattern - which there seems not to be. But still my row height is off, and I obviously can’t go with a much smaller hook (like the 2.0mm) because that throws the stitch width off as well. 

I’m at my wits’ end. 

Any ideas?

Lexi 

DBF92E81-4542-45B5-A7FF-68FF35FFD3AF.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Did a quick search as I've been known to have this problem too, and it led to a different thread on this site asking about general trouble with gauge. magiccrochetfan had posted a link to a blog article discussing why this may be; here's an (updated) link to it for your perusal: https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

It was a nice, quick read and may help you understand why this just isn't working. It seems that you may also be a lifter when it comes to crochet (I believe I am too when working with taller stitches); that would explain why each hook you've tried has ended up the same way.

Hi SammieLily2,

thanks for replying. Yes, I came across that link as well, and a few others making similar points. A good read, indeed. 

I’ve since adjusted my individual tension yet again to approximate a yanker-rider-cross sort of tightness (and, ironically, actually gone UP with the hook size, to 3.25mm) - and wouldn’t you know it: that has fixed it.

The pictures show how the gauge is now allllmost perfect (I’ll of course be making a full-sized 11x11” swatch once I have a mini swatch that suggests I’ve got the gauge nailed).

Wish I’d tried that before I made all those swatches and tore all that metaphorical hair out!

Thanks again for answering!

Lexi

8BD79A33-D7FD-490F-8E0E-AD7372762070.jpeg

8CCBF310-4309-4D64-86B2-1E05139F520B.jpeg

Congrats on getting your gauge adjusted, that is not easy to do---for me at least!  I'm curious which pattern you're making, if you don't mind me asking ;)

I'm gonna throw out a couple of references that are worth bookmarking, if you all haven't seen them already:   DesigningVashti has a blog entry that summarizes several different ways to manage/think about gauge http://crochetpatterncompanion.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-take-control-of-double-crochet.html      D Stanziano's first ( i think) post on the rider etc styles https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/crochet-liberation-front-headquarters/178539/1-25#8    and here is the original Ville thread where the late Jean Lienhauser talked about the Golden Loop https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/115175-gauge-trouble-is-it-just-me/   Jean wrote many books, and I don't know if this concept is in any of them; this was the first time I had heard of it.  (yikes I can't believe that was 7 yrs ago!)          I feel like I am comfortable crocheting the way I pretty much always have, and I don't analyze how I am forming stitches.  These ladies have given it a lot of thought, and I guess have observed other people crocheting, and their insights are a big help for people like me  :hook

I guess I'm lucky I'm a yanker (short stitches), because I can always sub an extended stitch or the next 'full size' up, but it doesn't always work as well appearance-wise to go the other direction.  I also applaud your ability to modify your stitch height, I think I'm just too stick in my ways :lol

I'm glad you got it! A few years ago, I picked up crocheting earnestly after only dabbling with it on and off (mostly off.) I tried making a mile-a-minute afghan with all of the centers of the panels rainbow strips only 8 dc wide. I needed 10 all the same length. That's when I found out that my stitching was extremely inconsistent. Doris Chan's yanker-rider-lifter post saved my frustration. I spent weeks practicing to become a consistent rider, then finished that afghan. 

Archived