Fun with Color and Stitch

magiccrochetfan

I've been having fun making a sampler blanket using a lot of different colors.  It's not finished yet but i thought it'd be fun to post about it now...and hopefully I will have it finished soon!  

I had collected some sampler ideas for a while and then was inspired by the Spicier Life CAL to actually start one. I'm not using any one pattern, but picking and choosing stitch patterns from different sources. I started it with the "loop" chainless start, like this http://stitcheryprojects.com/2012/09/19/no-beginning-chain-quick-shell-afghan/ 

I didn't intend it to be this bright but i don't have too many neutral colors.  Yarn is Stylecraft Special DK, actually I bought it a few years ago from someone here on the Ville.    the last 2 pics, it is folded in half.  the b&w pic is to judge the color "weight" which i learned about from Laura Bryant's books and an online class of which i now can't remember the name or source.  leaving the yarn ends for now as i may turn that into fringe (thats what i did on the one in my avatar).  

P1020278.thumb.jpg.a12a420d91e872793eca53c3590ca458.jpgP1020301.thumb.JPG.112a9e9ba202b0fb808ede1117c402ec.JPGP1020301.thumb.jpg.fb1d7d5640aed6e044928b49cb059e76.jpg

I love this!  I'm really not very inventive about pairing colors (or maybe just chicken).

Fascinating start to the pattern as well, better than "chain the distance plus a few more and pick out the extras later" for this pattern at least.

Thanks, Granny Square!  Re the colors, the basic colors I have here are from the "Lucy pack" of Stylecraft DK colors, the colors that Lucy of Attic 24 used for a really popular pattern, https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-stripes-2  https://us.deramores.com/products/stylecraft-special-dk-colour-pack?variant=42063065543  So i guess I am  "cheating" on color selection :lol     On this one I started out by trying to sort of emulate one of the color selections for the Spicier CAL, but I didn't do very well.  then when i started crocheting i worried about how adjacent colors would look together, but I soon realized that i'm changing colors so often that it doesnt really matter as they all go together in the overall look.  

I do really like the idea of the color packs, Deramores and i think Wool Warehouse have a lot of them.  it's just so hard to coordinate esp when buying online, or even in some store lighting.  i should say the only color in the 17-color pack i don't love is the pastel green.  I got several more olivey greens in other brands.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Belinda!

Well i am slow but have continued to work on it.  it is nearing the length it needs to be.  the farther i go, the harder time I have choosing the next color.  i haven't used all the stitch patterns i thought I would initially.  i haven't been sure how to finish it off, leaning toward just making fringe out of the yarn ends, but today I saw something where they made little circles that hang off the edges on a short chain, so now I think I'll do something like that.  If i'd decided this sooner, I could have left even longer ends.  oh, just realized the 2d pic is showing the "wrong" side, the bobbles aren't visible.  

P1020333.jpg

P1020335.jpg

Archived