Question

8 answers to this question

I looked at the pattern for Sweater Jacket. There are no decreases for the back. It's a sc, ch1, then sc in ch sp, ch1 pattern. 

What is your stitch count? Count both the sc and chain stitches. The count should be the same as the original fsc count. If it's not, then you lost stitches. The only fix is to rip back to the row with the correct count.

Going forward, count every row until you're sure that you're not losing stitches. Then count every few rows... I count every row or every other for complex patterns and every 5th for simple. 

There's one weird thing about the pattern. Normally the sc, ch1 pattern starts with a ch1 for the chain up, then sc in the first stitch, then start the pattern. This pattern counts the chain up as a stitch. The standard is that chain ups only count as a stitch for taller stitches. This may be why you're losing stitches. You can tweak the pattern to be standard (always sc in the first stitch) without changing the look.

I agree, you are losing stitches.  It might not be a bad idea to put a stitch marker in the first and last stitch of each row until you are confident you can recognize where the last stitch ends.

One trick to make sure you aren't losing or gaining stitches is to pick a stitch a couple of stitches from the edge where you started with the right count, and track the column of stitches directly above it.  You might have to stretch the fabric to help you.  If you picked a stitch 2 stitches from the end, and have to stop tracking because you hit the edge, or if you notice that the vertical track is now more than 2 stitches from the edge. you have a problem.  This works better with some stitch patterns than others, but in your case the pattern makes clear columns so it's easier to see you are losing stitches.

The only advantage I can see to have altered the end stitches in this stitch pattern from the usual SC at both ends to a chain at 1 end is that it might result in less interruption of the stitch pattern at the seam.

hi,

can anyone help me with the part of the armhole; i think that there is something wrong with the part of "working established pattern on 59 sts until the armhole measures 8.5"

Thank you

You're only working in 59 sts, some sts at each end are skipped to begin this part.  Work this section until it is the height indicated.  

This is a fairly common way to shape garment parts.  If the pattern had a schematic you'd be able to see the shape.  

Hi, I continue and read the pattern and i can not find how the left or the right front will be worked; are they work separately and then sew them with the back or attach to the back and work them together. I can't configure how it will be worked.

BR/ Rainbowis

Yes, the left and right front are worked separately and seamed at the sides and shoulders to the back piece.  It's too bad this pattern does not have a schematic, because that really helps.  Here is a really crude sketch of the front and back (doesn't show the waist shaping with the smaller hook).  The red shows the side seam, the blue arrows show how you will fold the fronts over the back (right sides together) and seam the shoulders.  The indentations are the armholes, this is the part where you omit 2 stitches on each side of the back (slip stitch across the first 2, then stop short with 2 remaining at the other side) and work across the middle 59 stitches for 8.5".  based on the measurement you gave, you are working the large size, so you should have been working on 63 stitches before you started the armholes, so 63 - 4 = 59 stitches.

I hope I haven't confused you...

Sweater Jacket.jpg

12 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Yes, the left and right front are worked separately and seamed at the sides and shoulders to the back piece.  It's too bad this pattern does not have a schematic, because that really helps.  Here is a really crude sketch of the front and back (doesn't show the waist shaping with the smaller hook).  The red shows the side seam, the blue arrows show how you will fold the fronts over the back (right sides together) and seam the shoulders.  The indentations are the armholes, this is the part where you omit 2 stitches on each side of the back (slip stitch across the first 2, then stop short with 2 remaining at the other side) and work across the middle 59 stitches for 8.5".  based on the measurement you gave, you are working the large size, so you should have been working on 63 stitches before you started the armholes, so 63 - 4 = 59 stitches.

I hope I haven't confused you...

Sweater Jacket.jpg

Thank you so much that was very helpful.