Pattern confirmation

Cherub

Question

Hoping for some advice/confirmation. 

Im making a patchwork throw as first project. I've made all the squares and joined then together, edging with 6 rows of relief double as instructed. There are then 3 rows of edging 

Row 1 is a pattern if single crochet into relief double followed by a 'scallop' of 2 doubles one chain 2 doubles one chain 2 doubles into next 3 relief double. This pattern is then repeated. I'm ok with this row. 

Row 2 shows double crochet one chain double crochet into single crochet of previous row then chain 3 which sits over the 'scallop' of previous row. This doesn't seem right as it creates a big loop over the 'scallop'. 

Row 3 is row 1 repeated with single crochet worked into 2nd stitch of chain from row 2. Double crochet 'scallop' is worked into chain between double crochet (v stitch?) of row 2. 

When complete there seems to be a big gap between 'scallop' of Row 1 and the 2 rows that are worked above it. 

Is this right?  

11 answers to this question

Hi Cherub, welcome to the Ville.  Which specific pattern is it?  

I suggest you draw a sketch like a little slice of the pattern, to show the parts you ask about.  

My local library has this book I think, so if nothing else I can check it out to help you.  Did you look on the publishers site to see if there are any corrections for the book?  Or sometimes called Errata.  

Here's the link to the book...

https://books.google.com/books/about/Great_New_Ways_with_Granny_Squares.html?id=06reoQEACAAJ&hl=en

The review on Amazon says that it's diagrams only. It was originally written in german and translated to standard diagram symbols. 

The reason that we're confused is that a ch3 isn't enough to cover the space over a 2dc,ch,2dc,ch,2dc scallop. Also, chaining over a scallop isn't normal. Normal is ch3, sc in top of scallop, ch3, v-st between scallop. V-st is (dc, ch1,  dc) in the same stitch. 

Kathy, you're great with diagrams. If you can borrow the book, I think that will get Cherub the best help. Especially since this is her first project. 

Wow your responses are brilliant!  Thank you so much for your time and care!!

Yes Magicrochetfan - that link is exactly the project I'm doing. 

Redrosesdz the idea of sc into middle of scallop would make much more sense but the diagram only show sc on row 3 into the chain of 3 on row 2!

That would make sense and was my gut feeling - I had tried this and liked to finish it gave so I think I'll go with this one. 

I lack confidence as a beginner so it's been great to have such swift and helpful responses. Very grateful ☺️

You are very welcome!  We loooooove to talk about crocheting, so feel free to ask whatever you need to!  And let us know how things are working out.  I'd love to see your finished project.  

and my attitude is it is always ok to experiment with tweaking a pattern, if you don't like the first result.  Just be prepared to rip it out if it doesn't work ;-)  

I just put a hold on the book so I should be able to get it from the library later this week, it has to be transported from one branch to another.  I will look at the diagram and post then.  

Just out of curiosity, I found another pattern from the book online, on the blog of M Segares, the Underground Crafter http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2017/09/18/crochet-pattern-throw-by-rosa-p/

the symbols are slightly different than the ones we usually see in US or Japanese patterns, more like the "European" ones on Hass Designs site http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/

Archived