sc color change on a diagonal pattern

leeward

Question

This is a sc afghan block. I found the pattern in an old women's magazine which I have since lost. I can change color on a straight line sc but am having difficulty figuring out how I did it with the diagonal color change. I started out with @ 25 chain of one color and gradually changed to the second one row at a time.

Can anyone help???  Pattern would be appreciated.

New here!

Thanks!!

afghan.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

I recommend a book, Reversible Color Crochet by Laurinda Reddig.

http://www.recrochetions.com/p/recrochetions-presents-rowans-learn-to.html?m=1

It's available on Amazon, in stores and most online book stores.

It will teach you how to make a perfect diagonal as well as many other shapes for both sc and dc.

The photo is turned 90° , from the direction the stitches were made in--that might help visualize how you did this.

I'm not sure if this is the same technique as the book recommended above, but here's a video tutorial on changing colors.  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-change-colors-seamlessly-in-CrochetWithout-/

In a nutshell, without the detail of how to chain colors which is covered above, the pattern would be (starting with row 1 all 1 color)

With color A, Chain 26, turn

1) Skip first chain, sc 25 across. ch 1, turn

2) SC across 24, change to color B in last stitch, ch 1, turn

3) SC 2, change to color A to end, ch1, turn

and so on - in each even row, start color B 1 stitch earlier, and in each odd row, make 1 more color B stitch before switching to A

~~~~~~

If you want to start the first row with 24 of 1 color, and 1 of the other--it is similar, except you will need to change color for the last 2 chains, then the first SC would be color B, then switch to color A.  Like before, you'd keep adding to the color B side (not adding stitch count, meaning switching colors sooner).

Thank you both SO much!

I've just started a square and I THINK I've got it.( The ladies at -two- yarn stores couldn't figure this out ). That's what I get for waiting some 30 odd years to start crocheting again. I also went up one hook size so the squares are a little bigger and will be easier to piece together. I will order that book now.  Again, thanks.

Carol Lee

Archived