Hello,

I'm newly returned to crochet after 40 years.  I'm working on a dollhouse project and some miniatures.  I wanted to crochet the mom a nice shawl and the baby a blanket, plus some floor rugs.

I'm having trouble deciding on the thread and hook.  My dollhouse is smaller than the usual 1:12 scale and is instead the 1:24 scale (1/2" = 1'). 

I've tried some small Perle Cotton (sz 8) with a 1mm hook, and even though the thread is soft, it appears too big for my scale.  I had some sz 20 Tatting thread on hand and tried it using the 1mm hook but the thread basically is too stiff, standing up instead of wrapping gently around my tiny babies.

I'm considering Perle Cotton (sz 12) but don't know if that would make a difference.  Any other ideas or suggestions?  I would really appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Erica

Thanks @grannysquare.  I had read it was too fragile and would break while crocheting, but for my purposes it will not be "played" with after completion.  It will only be used for the adult dollhouse. :)  I'll give it a try as I have lots on hand from my old cross stitch projects.

That means I'll need an even smaller crochet hook... oh, my old eyes.

Thanks again!

I was thinking of those little skeins, I just looked them up - slightly less than 9 yards.  Wouldn't be that hard to unravel; I'd straighten out the 9 yards (would cross a 10' bedroom 3 times), then fold a piece of paper into a skinny 'stick' shape for a bobbin, pull 1 or 2 threads (whatever you'd want to hold together to work with) off and wrap around the bobbin.  Might be easier if you had a second person to help, but do-able solo.  Skeins like this http://www.embroidery.com/DMC-Cotton.ec

It's not hard to do, just irritating.  I start with one strand and two things to roll on.  I roll both at the same time so they don't get tangled. When they begin to twist, I put  clothespins on the rolled strands and let it hang to get out the twist.  It is a pain, but for your tiny dolls, you won't need much   Embroidery thread is  a lot easier to separate than yarn.

Archived