Hi everyone! New to crochet and baffled by an abbreviation

Brandnewgranny

As my public name suggests, I welcomed my first grandchild in September!  I have made some baby afghans, a hat, and a sweater.

I'm trying to do an Amigurumi pattern now, and there is an abbreviation that has me puzzled.  What does F/O mean?

Context:  Doing a foot in the round, and by round 17 the stitches have decreased to 6.  Then it says "F/O and leave a long tail for closing the 6 stitch opening and attach foot to leg".

Same thing for leg:  Toward the end, when it's down to 12 sc, it says "F/O the first leg and leave a long enough tail to sew the 2 legs together."

Any help greatly appreciated!

F/O is short for fasten off. 

It's not standard, but it is common in amigurumi patterns. Amigurumi patterns tend to use more shorthand than other patterns. 

There are some excellent tips out there for amigurumi. Google "amigurumi tips." Some talk about ami patterns. All have great tips for joining parts, stuffing, etc. They're worth reading. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the ville!  if you need ideas about just how to "fasten off" here is one tutorial https://www.planetjune.com/blog/amigurumi-help/fastening-off/    that site, PlanetJune, has lots of good crochet info and for amigurumi in particular.  

Also you may see patterns that mix in a little knitting terminology and say "cast off" or "bind off", by which they mean fasten off.  

Archived