Basic Pattern Reading Help Needed!

970Steve

Question

Ok so I am getting the hang of this whole crocheting thing well I get the how to do many stitches down. But I am having a problem with reading patterns and I cant find an example explained that is like the one I'm following.

Rnd 2: 1 ch, starting at same stitch 1 sc, 1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 hdc, 2 dc, 2 dc, 2dc, 1 hdc, 1 hdc, 1 sc, 1 sc in next sc

So ok how my non crocheter mind wants to read this is 1ch, 2sc, 2 hdc, 6dc, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 1sc increase

does that make sense? to me it makes more sense to put the totals 6dc, insted of 2dc, 2dc, 2dc 

Why is something so simple so confusing to me?

12 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!   the reason it's confusing is that it's written confusingly (imo).  it would be much more clear if it were written  the way Sharon wrote it out, which to me is the standard way of doing a written pattern.   the pattern you are using is written in a kind of shorthand that seems to be becoming popular.  i hope that somewhere within the pattern it clarifies this for the user; do always be sure to read everything before the actual pattern as that part often has helpful notes.  But it seems to me that a lot of blogs use this abbreviated way, and it's even in books now, more's the pity (again imo obviously)  and they never really explain it, somehow they think you can read their minds. 

i appreciate that a lot with that help I am now off to the races! i was stuck on these eyes forever with that now I have 2 eyes and over half of the head of the panda I am making Thanks a bunch and i will be reading the information in that link

Archived