Tea Spilled on Skein of Yarn. ARGGGG

I am so mad that I just need to vent. I'm 2/3 through a 2 color afghan. Both colors were in mesh laundry bags and inside my project bag, which was on the rug next to where I was happily crocheting away. Next to me is a table with the pattern, my phone, and a glass of tea.

My cat decided that he wanted my attention. Normally he gracefully jumps on the table and then into my lap after I move my project. (He's trained to not jump on my project.)

This time he knocked over the FULL glass of tea. It soaked everything on the table and floor! Both skeins of yarn are soaked with tea, which will discolor the yarn. If it was my project, I would just cut, weave in the end and put it in the wash. It's washer/dryer safe acrylic. 

How do you get tea out of a skein of yarn? If it dries, it will be discolored. I tried paper towels to soak up the tea, but they're still soaked. I'm washing the project bag and rice for the phone, so they'll be okay. I got it out of the rug, too. The yarn is the only thing I don't know how to fix. I bought it months ago, so the dye lot is long gone.

My cat is in the proverbial dog house today! 

i feel your pain, coffee and tea really can stain.

Maybe try wrapping the skein in an old towel, or anything that you don't mind getting stains on, then stand/walk on it to squeeze all the liquid out.  i guess do this on a surface that can't stain, maybe in the bathtub or something.  

I tried paper towels, but not an actual towel. I'm trying it now on the skein that got only a little wet.

For the skein that got the wettest, I cut it from the project. I put it in the laundry bag and threw it in the washer. Most of the pound was used. I started one of the new skeins. I'm hoping I won't need what went through the wash. 

I'm more worried about the barely wet, almost full skein. It's light grey. Fingers crossed that wringing it out with a towel works! I'm hoping that by dampening the towel first, it will draw the tea out.

Thanks! 

I am sorry to hear that.  I can not think of anything with the exception of my carpet  "new" stain remover. That thing works magic, every time!. That even took out old coffee & burgundy stain from my ivory color carpet. I did tried many other stain removers before, nothing worked. It is called, I am just reading what says on that spray bottle: "Insta clean" and under it says home &auto spot & stain remover, OXY stain destroyer. That works on any fabric-fiber. 

That is a spray and it works like a magic, REALLY!:). That works instantly and nothing need to be washed or rinsed after gets strayed. I bough that from HSN, my daughter seen that on Amazon.com. After I bought a small bottle of that and tried that I went back and bought a whole gallon of that stuff.

Good Luck!:)

Krys

PS: I even got a red wine stain out from my silk top. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, redrosesdz said:

I tried paper towels, but not an actual towel. I'm trying it now on the skein that got only a little wet. ............................................. 

I'm more worried about the barely wet, almost full skein. It's light grey. Fingers crossed that wringing it out with a towel works! I'm hoping that by dampening the towel first, it will draw the tea out.

Thanks! 

Sharon- Did you ever get this resolved to your satisfaction?

I think so. I won't know definitely until I finish the afghan and the next one. Then wash and inspect them. That's when any discoloration will show up. Fingers crossed that I got it all out!

The aghans are mirror images. One blue with gray trim and the other gray with blue trim. I'm less than a week away from finishing the blue one. The next will take 5 weeks. They're Christmas presents. 

I sure hope it works out. I have had an accident or two with skeins and didn't know what to do with them back then. I've used Oxy-Clean on finished projects before and had good results but never on skeins. I didn't have a cat then so I can only blame my clumsy self. LOL

laugh.jpg

23 hours ago, redrosesdz said:

Thanks Reni!  I really needed that laugh.... I laugh at myself all the time!  LOL

Just imagine where we would be if we didn't! :loco Of course, crochet would probably take care of that for me since it does keep me pretty sane. LOL

On 10/23/2017 at 8:00 PM, ReniC said:

I'm going to try that someday........if I can remember to buy some knee highs! lol

Check your local Good Will or Salvation Army stores--they usually have knee his!

6 hours ago, Avon Lady said:

Check your local Good Will or Salvation Army stores--they usually have knee his!

Great advice! A huge, new Goodwill store just opened in town and I plan on going there as soon as I can.

Archived