Double Crochet problem

knittingnan

Question

Iam very much a beginner in crochet and determined to teach myself.

I have picked up a pattern that said it is ideal for beginners which is a cute reindeer head.

I have to make a magic ring which I have looked up and think I understand, I have to work 6dc into the ring. But what confuses me is that the instructions read as follows;

Rnds 1-2 2dc in each stitch to end 24 sts

I understand dc is double crochet but what is the 2dc?

Grateful for any help

4 answers to this question

I assume that it's a UK pattern, since you said that you're from the UK in your introduction thread.

2dc means to make 2 dc stitches in the same stitch. It's also known as an increase. Do a dc stitch. Then insert your hook in the same stitch and do another dc stitch. 

Rnd 0: 6 dc stitches in the ring.

Rnd 1: 2dc stitches in each stitch = 12 stitches. 

Rnd 2: 2dc stitches in each stitch = 24 stitches.

Hint: when you're doing rounds it is very easy to lose count. Mark the first stitch of each round, so you don't lose it. You can use a stitch marker and move it up each round. Or a running stitch marker and pull it out at the end. (To do a running stitch marker, get a piece a scrap yarn in a different color. Lay the end over the first stitch in round 1. Flip it over the first stitch in the next round. Keep flipping it over each round's first stitch. It will spiral to the right for right-handed crocheting.)

Archived