Frustrated with red heart yarn, different thickness

Most of the crochetting I do is amigurumis. I buy red heart because it is easy to find, cheap and I think it's stiffness is actually a plus for the toys. I have noticed difference in quality depending on the color, some could be very plasticky and some felt nicer. But the last two balls had slightly different thicknesses, enough to ruin my project. It was a very small doll. It was a promised gift so I modified the pattern a bit and it looks odd but ok, but now I am left with all this yarn that I can't combine well with other yarns of the same brand. Has anyone had that problem before? I know it is not a very fine yarn but, given how artificial and "industrial" it looks, I expected it to least not vary in thickness.

I found that both RHSS & caron pounders vary in thickness by color. I made an afghan out of lavender and dark purple. The lavender was almost twice as thick as the purple. It turned out okay, but not what I wanted. 

I like using lion brand or store brands for toys. 

Thanks. I will check out the lion brand. I hadn't had this problem with red heart. Sometimes it doesn't make that much difference or the problem can be solved easily, for example, when making a toy where the limbs go in another color. Even with the different thickness, it is possible to add a stitch and  maybe  row to make up for the difference, as long as the toy is big enough. With the toy I was making, I had to change the color in the middle of each row, to form a mask on the face. It was impossible to correct it without changing the ovreall look, very fristrating.

Archived