Pattern Help

riri4eva

Question

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to understand a pattern for a crochet flower.

The pattern says: 

Make a chain of 6 and then join it with a slip stitch- no problem I get that. 

Here is where I get confused: 

Work a double crochet (SS) into each stitch as you go around the chain ring, count until you have completed 16 double crochet (16DC/SS). 

I am so confused as it does not say to go into the ring, what do i do?

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks 

Rita 

6 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!  this is written very confusingly in my opinion.  ss is not an abbreviation for dc.  and its gonna be hard to get 16 dc into 6 ch, if you don't work into the ring.  maybe its poorly translated or something.

please tell us the name of the pattern and where to find it.  

This is confusing, and not standard US crochet pattern 'grammar'.  This doesn't appear to be written very clearly.  Is this a free pattern on the internet that you could link to?  If it's a paid pattern, could you tell us the name and the source (magazine, book)? If we cold see a pic of the flower, it might help to decipher what it's trying to say.  

2 things come to mind (1), it is trying to 'dual translate' terms into UK/US terms, and using "SS" for SC, or (2) less likely, it is meaning to make DC,  chain 1 (confusing slip stitch( slst) for a chain, but this would be really strange, and also a wrong abbreviation again.  

In either case, you can't put "a" (one) stitch into each of 6 chains and end up with 16, so I have to assume it is meaning INTO the ring, not into each stitch.

edit, oops didn't see ya there, Magic :hi 

Sorry everyone! 

I was trying to make things less confusing by putting the us terms in brackets. I will now repost with the exact words below:

Chain 6 then join into a ring by working a slip stitch.  

Here is where I get confused: 

Now work a double crochet stitch into each stitch as you go around the chain ring, count until you have completed 16 double crochet stitches (16DC). Work in the tail of your yarn into each stitch as you go. Join the last stitch in by using a slip stitch (SS), then fasten off. 

This is exact from the book. The book is Alison Mcnicol's how to Crochet. 

Link to cover is: https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://t0.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn:ANd9GcR3Sw6eLY-GxRoEQhz6FwNSzwC8k3VY5TOlyDyX2FKBDxv9r_p5&imgrefurl=https://books.google.com/books/about/How_to_Crochet.html%3Fid%3DrGnjngEACAAJ%26source%3Dkp_cover&h=400&w=309&tbnid=XHp3FlSpPzRB8M:&tbnh=160&tbnw=123&usg=__oYZeOw7vejjUA5jUmLDIL55D6-c=&vet=10ahUKEwjXtc_5qcbWAhUJ-2MKHTAVAqwQ_B0IkgEwDw..i&docid=vUBD8fSMEtUZ6M&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXtc_5qcbWAhUJ-2MKHTAVAqwQ_B0IkgEwDw

Picture of almost complete flower is on cover. 

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion!  

Ah, OK, so it makes more sense now.  The only thing that remains questionable is "Now work a double crochet stitch into each stitch as you go around the chain ring".  It appears that you actually work 16 DC into the ring, not into individual chain stitches.  I can't quite count the number of DCs that appear around the center of the flower, but 16 looks reasonable.

It also almost looks like there is a chain between those DCs, but it's possible the following row has you doubling the stitch count by putting a (presumably) DC stitch into each stitch, plus between each stitch, which would cause a similar visual gap.. But I'm guessing, just going by what it looks like.  

Why in the world would they write a beginners book with confusing instructions? Grrrr. Why do they use hard to see colors, like bright red, in a beginners book? Grrrrrrrrrr.

What I see is round 1: 16 dc in the ring, slip st to join. Round 2 attaches between 2 stitches 8 times. 

Archived