Substitute Yarn weight

HeeTinok

Question

I asked this question in my introduction, and I did have one comment.(Thank you Granny Square) I want to substitute bulky weight yarn for super bulky weight yarn.  Is that possible or am I just wishing?  The pattern is for a Hockey Skate Blanket. I have already bought the yarn.:( Now I don't know how to change it. The pattern says 5 stitches equal 4". I did 5 stitches with my yarn and J hook and it is 2 1/2". The pattern calls for a P hook. Is there any way I can use the bulky yarn or should I just go buy the Super Bulky? Bummed here.:cry Thank you in advance.

8 answers to this question

When you use a lighter weight than a pattern, you have to go up hook sizes or double the yarn. Going down hook sizes produces smaller stitches, which gives you a smaller gauge. A J hook is a huge difference from a P hook. 

I would try a swatch with a P hook and see how close it is to the gauge. If it's only off a little and you don't mind a slightly smaller product, then use it. If it's still way off, try a larger hook. With the thinner yarn, your project will be looser and less solid.

Hooks larger than P are hard to find. Where I live, I would have to order online. I might be tempted to either double the yarn or return it. 

Whatever you decide, good luck! Also, TN winters, especially in the mountains, are COLD!

This is the pattern (photos) here for reference https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hockey-skate-blanket

Adding extra chains is good advice for a rectangular blanket, but the focal point of this pattern is a giant 3D hockey skate to stick your toes into, with the 'sock" (blanket) that wraps around you.  In the other post (where I didn't realize you had all the yarn already), I sort of gave you the 'add chains' advice by suggesting to make the skate per pattern with the super bulky (to keep the skate the same size), then switch to the smaller weight, and increase the stitch count in the transition from skate to blanket to achieve the pattern size for the blanket part.  Making the skate with a gauge half the size (per your tension with the J hook) would look silly (and not be functional), and you'd have to completely re-design the skate to make it the right size, at half the gauge you're getting with a J hook. 

I think your best bet, especially since you have the yarn already, is find the big hook and go with the pattern.  You may find the fabric is loose and open enough to not be as warm as you think it's going to be.  One stitch is nearly an inch per the pattern gauge!

I personally don't like to use bulky yarn unless it is for a small project. When I substitute a smaller weight yarn, I make a swatch with a smaller hook for that yarn, then add stitches to get the right gauge, count how many stitches you added and round up one or down one if it isn't an even number. I think I know which blanket you are referring to, is it worked in the round? If so, just add the stitches to the beginning and end. For example, if you had to add 6 extra stitches to get the right gauge, then add 3 stitches to the beginning and 3 stitches to the end, following the pattern as it is written. Lets say round 3 calls for 10 sc (just throwing a number out there), then you would actually be crocheting 3 sc at the beginning, then the 10 sc for the pattern, then the 3 sc at the end. If it is a long pattern, sometimes I write the extra stitches in for each row to help. Keep notes as you go, so the second one will be much easier. Since you already bought the yarn you could try this for a few rounds and see if it works for you. As long as you have the same number of extra stitches added to the beginning and the end of each row/rnd, and follow the pattern it should work. Just remember that when you count your stitches after each round it will be different than the number given in the pattern, that's why I usually write my extra stitches down at the beginning and end of each line in the instructions, then write my new stitch total off to the side. Hope this helps and good luck!

Archived