Hello and HELP

HeeTinok

Hello All!

Not sure if I have been on here before...but I have been crocheting for...seems like forever! I am trying to increase my knowledge. Most of the time when I make something I give it away. Someday I will actually have to make something for myself. :o) I live in Oklahoma, married and have a Yorkie named Harley. Yes we ride Harleys. Anyway, I am hoping you can help me. I am trying to make a Hockey Sock blanket for my grandsons. (1 for each one) The pattern calls for Super Bulky and use 2 strand and the P hook. I personally think super bulky using 2 strand is too heavy and too hot for Tennessee where they live. So....I am wanting to use Stylecraft Yarn Chunky and use a smaller hook. Now how can I do this? I tried using a J hook, but 5 stitches equal 2 1/2". The pattern's gauge is 5 stitches equal 4". I don't know how to get that gauge and size using J or K hook, or if it is even possible. Everything I find is going from thinner yarn to bulky yarn but not the other way. Is it possible?

Thank you so much! Hope this is the place to ask this.

Hello and welcome!  Can you link to a pic of that pattern if possible, if it's free of if you bought it online?  Don't put a pic here that would violate the forum copyright rules. 

The only pattern I found was a Hocky SKATE blanket, and I can't think of a way to get around using a huge hook and doubled yarn for the skate without 100% redesigning it.  But, you could switch to a lighter weight yarn for the blanket part (you might have to put 2 stitches into 1 every so often to get the intersection to lie flat).  I'm assuming by the pictures that this is like the 'mermaid' blankets, where the skate is meant to put your feet in, and the blanket wraps around you or is more or less a tube.

Yes that is the pattern. Yes it is like those blankets you climb into.  I want to use bulky weight yarn instead of super bulky weight. I just thought that strands of super bulky would be too warm. I already bought the yarn . :( It is Stylecraft brand. It doesn't seem to be bulky to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived