Sign in to follow this  
Suzeesk8er

Double treble shell edging

I have been working on this shawl pattern for a while.  I am following a You Tube tutorial.  The edging has me stumped. It's Double Treble shells.  So, there is a cluster of 6 double treble in one space with a chain 1 btwn the double trebles.  After the 6 double trebles, chain 1 skip 1 space and single crochet.  Chain 1, and start the Double Treble.  Well, the first Double Treble ALWAYS results in a loose stitch between the single crochet and the 1st Dbl Tr.  On my last pull through - I have this gap or extra length of yarn between the last two loops on the hook.  It is so frustrating, because it does not happen at ALL when doing the rest of the shell.

I need to mention that I am left handed and have never properly learned to hold the yard in my right hand.  Here is a pic, and I can also include a link to the You Tube tutorial.  You would have to go almost to the end of the video, as it is the 2nd round of edging.  I must have tried this first dbl tr of the shell at least a hundred times.  My stomach is in knots because of this!!  UGH!!!

Ch1.JPG

Welcome to Crochetville! 

I've had the same trouble with long stitches and I'm right-handed. I think it's a pretty common problem. What's happening is that as you're making the stitch you're pulling up, which causes the first loop to widen.

Normally you shouldn't tug on a stitch after you make it. However, I find that pulling the loop tight after the sc helps. Next, instead of pulling up to make the stitch, pull to the left (to the right for right-handed.) It may help to move the project sideways. Lastly, use your left index finger to hold the loops close together on the hook. This helps them from getting wider. Also, keep the tension on your yarn taut.

I hope these tricks help. Let us know.

It is so frustrating, because it does not happen at ALL when doing the rest of the shell.

It is frustrating.  I have that happen on some projects.  The reason it isn't doing it on the rest of the shell is because they are already close together.  With that first double treble, you are stretching more from one point to the next.

I agree with redroses, on that first one, you need to hold it close so you are not giving it any extra length.  Do watch your tension, too.

I've seen lots of ways to hold yarn.  You really should figure out a way that works for you and keeps tension.

Good luck!  :)