Key Tab Pullover Vest

Rainbowis

Question

Hello,

kindly i do not understand the following and i do not know how to work it.

"Join White with sc in first st, ch1, sk next st, sc in next st, working in front of Ch-1 (working what?), ext dc in hdc on row before last [sc in next st, ch1, sk next st, working in front of Ch-1, ext dc in hdc on row before last] around, join in beg. sc turn."

Regards, 

7 answers to this question

Do you have a link to where you got the pattern? I couldn't find it using the description. It'll be easier if we could at least see a picture. Could you post a picture of what you've done so far?

First, "ext" is not a standard crochet term. I'm going to assume that it means extended. To do an exdc, yo, insert hook, yo, pull through a loop, yo, pull through 1 loop, yo, pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through 2 loops.

I'm also going to assume that you did a row of hdc stitches 2 rows previously and that on the previous row you did an alternating skip, stitch. 

Based on the above assumptions, you're going to do an exdc by inserting your hook in the hdc that's located 1 stitch back and 2 rows below. Draw through the loop, but don't pull it all the way. Finish the exdc in front of your work. (This is working in front of the ch-1 that you did right before the sc.)

I hope this makes sense and that I described it correctly. Please let me know. 

Also, if anyone else has a different interpretation, please chime in. I'm really unsure about this one.

Is this the pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/key-tab-pullover-vest

Did prior rows tell you to work some of the stitches in the front or back loop?  The reason I asked is that there are 3 ways I can think of to work and EDC (extended DC - ExDC might be a variant abbreviation I haven't run into before) in the HDC in the row before last: (1) if that HDC was worked in only the front or back loop, so 2 rows later the unused loop is again in the front, so you could 'use' that free loop to make the EDC (2) as Redrosesdz suggested, if there is a chain over that HDC 2 rows below, it would the top of the HDC exposed to work into (3) you made the EDC as a post stitch - but I'd think this last one would have said front post EDC, or said to work around the post of the HDC, but it didn't.  If the pattern I linked is the right one, this isn't likely.

Your 'working what?' question - it's telling you to work (make) the EDC by reaching in front of the stitches below you; this is a variation of a 'spike' stitch; if the pattern I linked is the right one, it would be the white stitches 'poking down' over the blue.

11 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Is this the pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/key-tab-pullover-vest

Did prior rows tell you to work some of the stitches in the front or back loop?  The reason I asked is that there are 3 ways I can think of to work and EDC (extended DC - ExDC might be a variant abbreviation I haven't run into before) in the HDC in the row before last: (1) if that HDC was worked in only the front or back loop, so 2 rows later the unused loop is again in the front, so you could 'use' that free loop to make the EDC (2) as Redrosesdz suggested, if there is a chain over that HDC 2 rows below, it would the top of the HDC exposed to work into (3) you made the EDC as a post stitch - but I'd think this last one would have said front post EDC, or said to work around the post of the HDC, but it didn't.  If the pattern I linked is the right one, this isn't likely.

Your 'working what?' question - it's telling you to work (make) the EDC by reaching in front of the stitches below you; this is a variation of a 'spike' stitch; if the pattern I linked is the right one, it would be the white stitches 'poking down' over the blue.

Yes this is it 🙂

Archived