Shawl for a Child/Teenager

Jayashiangel

Question

2 answers to this question

I don't know about your niece, but I was as tall as I am now when I was 13, and only an inch or so away from that at 12.  Is she tremendously shorter now than her mom?  For me, to keep it on my shoulders, I like it to be no less than 6 feet wide (I'm 5'3"), unless you are planning on it needing a shawl pin.  For depth, I'd go for the same as an adult's. 

Here is one that I'd consider a little short (widthwise) for me (assuming my wingspan=my height, it's only 1" longer than my wingspan at each end, but the fringe adds a bit); it's 15x65" (you need to sign up for this site which has Annies Attic/DRG patterns for free, they don't send annoying mails).  Thank might give you an idea of size...I'm seeing others even shorter at 60" wide, but deeper, 18", so there's a range.  If you're not on Ravelry you should be able to search on the first link for more, I've noticed links to a filtered Ravelry search from here don't work  (gives you ALL patterns); I searched on 'stole' and selected free patterns; you can also filter by yarn weight.

Archived