please help!!!!

Laura Robitaille

Question

hello..going out of my mind. I am relatively new to crocheting. downloaded Red Heart Granny Noel Throw (see attached pattern). Beautiful blanket done in granny squares, and at the end you piece them together. Sounded simple...took forever to do the squares, but finally completed the 13 large squares and the 48 small squares. crocheted the small squares into groups of 4 and ended up with 12 squares..just gorgeous. So then I tried to follow the directions for assembling them. They tell me to add a new row (9) on the 13 large squares, connecting the small squares as I go just like for the four small squares. I AM COMPLETELY LOST. I managed to figure out the row nine pattern, I get that they are asking me to create a row that has matching loops so that I can connect the small squares but I don't know how to go about doing it. Do I take four of them and then crochet them together? I tried doing them in a row and am not sure when to fasten off etc...can anyone help? so to reiterate I understand the row nine instrutions but not how to add the small squares (when and how). Thanks in advance...

noel granny throw.pdf

9 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

First you'll need to remove the link to the pattern. It's against forum rules due to copyright violations. (Even though the pattern is free.) Is this the pattern?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grannys-noel-throw

The 4 small squares that you joined together previously are now treated as one square. Lay out the squares as shown in the diagram. 

Start with the top, left corner square. Do rnd 9 around the square. Fasten off. Do the next square around 3 sides, join the 4th side to the first square. Fasten off. Keep going until all are joined. 

that's what I originally thought, but if I do the first square (all four sides) and try to join the one next to it (which is one of the blocks that have four little squares crocheted together) it doesn't work because both the edges have loops and how do I follow row nine when the two squares have loops? the row nine instructions don't make sense unless you are crocheting a flat side to a side that has loops.sorry to be stupid, but I cant figure it out. I will attach a picture in a moment to try and explain. I really appreciate your help...

Oh, I see! The 4 square motifs already have the edging. You only need to edge the large squares.

First large square: do rnd 9 around 2 sides. Join to 4-sq on 3rd side. (Row 2, sq 1) Join to another  4-sq on 4th side.  (Row 1, sq 2) Fasten off. 

Next large square  (top row): do rnd 9, joining to row 1, sq 2 and row 2, sq 3 and row 1, sq 4. Fasten off. 

I think I'm following you for the first large square (fastening the adjacent 4 square block and the 4 sq block below) but when I start the next  large block wouldn't I Crochet row nine on the first side (top) then the rest would join up to the 4 squareS. Right?then what don't do with the first large square on the second row? Sorry you are being so helpful...

I was in the middle of correcting my previous post when I was interrupted by taking my son to work. It's corrected now.

I think you got it. Only do rnd 9 around large squares. Join wherever a large square is next to a 4-sq in the diagram  (next to or below or above.) Fasten off at the end of each large square. 

So, row 2, sq 2 is a large square. When you get to it, both sides and top already are joined to row 1 squares. You do the join on all 4 sides, adding row 3, sq 2.

You are so kind to help me. I really appreciate this! I feel stupid for being confused but I also think they could have given a bit more direction! I will try what you said and hopefully it works . The squares are so pretty. It's a gift for my daughter (at college) and I just want to see it complete! I will keep you posted ( may have another question!) thank you again.....

Never feel stupid for having any problems when you're learning--we've ALL been there---several times!!!  We're here to help, and if one of us can't figure it out--someone else will come along with the solution!  Just have fun!!  Don't get discouraged!  It really looks like a beautiful pattern!

Archived