Pattern help

RED DOG

Question

I hope I have this under the right category this time.  There is no link to a pattern. I will try to explain my problem as best as I can.  I am making a doily and the pumpkin is in the center and now I started the white part of the doily.  Rund1: Join white with sc in any ch sp, [ch5, sc in next ch sp } around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.  (72 ch sps). This is the last time the number of spaces you are supposed to have is mentioned.  RNDS2-7: Ch1, sc in ch sp just made, {ch5, sc in next ch sp} around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnds:8-11:  Ch1,(sc ch3, sc} in ch sp just made, (ch5, (sc, ch3, sc) in next ch sp) around, to join Ch 2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnd12:  Sk ch-3sps, ch1, (sc, ch3, sc) in ch sp just made, ch5, (sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, (tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, (ch5, sc, ch3, sc) in next ch sp,ch5 (sc, ch3, tr)in next ch sp,(tr ch3 sc) in next ch space) around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnd13:sk ch-3 sps, ch1,(sc ch3, tr) in ch sp just made, *(tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, ch5, (sc, ch3, sc) in sp between 2 tr, ch5**, ( sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at**, join which sl sit in beg sc.

I understand how to do it I just seem to have too many stitches.  The next step is to put 24 leaves around the circle between 2 groups of triple crochets.  At the end of row 12 I have 960 stitches.  I am just now staring row 13 and I can tell I have way too many spaces for the leaves to go around evenly.  I also wanted to know on rnd13 after the second asterik do I do the (sc ch3,tr) and then go back to the beginning of the asterik. I was not sure about the (sc, ch3, tr) after the double asterik.

I really want to make this project and I don't know where I went wrong with the spaces.  Thank you for any help you can give.

I did skip them.  I don't know why I can't figure it out but there is no way 24 leafs between 2 groups of trs  need 960 stiches well it would be a few less if I finished row 13 but not enough.  Did you see in the other post about the asteriks, I wanted to know if I was doing that  correctly. 

Wow that is REALLY ruffled, you weren't kidding about that!  

In rnd 11 you have the sc, ch3, sc as part of the round.  Then I think starting with round 12 you do not stitch into those, that's why I said they are like picots, just decorative.  At beginning of 12-13 it says skip them.  So by stitching into them you have about twice as many chain loops as you should.  

image.thumb.jpg.df2a8d3ad8009b0d8925fb9f72f587f2.jpgyes I am counting stitches and spaces.  The name of the pattern is Halloween Table Topper with Cat Motifs.   I have tried on Raverly to contact the designer and also  the publisher.  Could not get any information.  I am not sure if you would call the picots. I will attach a picture of what I have done so far but its hard to see the stitches on rows 12 and 13 because it is so ruffled.  This doily is supposed to be 33" in diameter.

It's really difficult to picture in my mind what's happening. Here's a link to the book on ravelry. At the bottom are links to the designers. If the designer of the pumpkin doily is listed, you can msg her on ravelry.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/annies-attic-876514-the-big-book-of-holiday-crochet

The other thing you can try is contact the publisher from their website. They often keep notes on patterns that had questions. 

Thanks for responding.  I wanted to give your more information.

RND: 12 Sk ch-3ps, ch 1, (sc, ch3, sc) in ch sp just made, ch5, (sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, ( tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, {ch5, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch sp, ch5, (sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, (tr Ch 3, sc) in next ch sp] around, to join ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnd 13:  Sk c-3 sps. Ch1, (sc ch3, tr) in ch sp just made, *(tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, ch5, ( sc, ch3, sc) in sp between next 2 tr, ch 5**, (sc, ch3, tr) in next chsp, rep from * around, ending last rep at**, join with sl st in beg sc.  So after the ** do I do the sc, ch3, tr) and go back to the first * repeat.  After round 12 is when I have the 960 stitches which I know is too much because after round 13 there are 24 leaves that go around the circle between 2 tr groups, thats not going to work.  I have been crocheting for a long time, I don't know why this is not working out.  I am going to rip it out and start again.  Any more suggestions you have I would appreciate.  If there is any way, I could get old of the designer I would.

Hi Kathy! I didn't see you answered here. I answered in the other thread. I'm going to copy my answer here.

Red Dog: please reply here and not the other thread. Thanks!

Kathy is right about both things. I didn't notice the section. Otherwise I would have said the same thing.  You should remove the pics. 

However, now that I've seen the pic, I get what the problem is. Rnds 8-11 should read {...} in next ch-5sp. The sc,ch3,sc is decorative and is the same function as the sc in rnds 1-7. So, your count is the same.

What I don't get is why there are no increases in 11 rounds. The ch5,sc around is a very stretchy combination, however 11 rounds seems like a lot without any increases.

Check your ch-5 sp count at the end of rnd 7. Is it 72? If yes, then you should be fine with rnds 8-11. Just do the sc,ch3,sc in the ch-5 spaces to keep the same count. If no, something is wrong with how you're doing rnds 2-7. Either way, let us know.

When you say you have 960 stitches, I assume you are counting chains and stitches.  Is that right?  

960 sounds like a huge amount, but with all the chain spaces, I'm not sure it isn't right.  Other people here are lots better at math than me, so I won't try to work it out , and hopefully someone else will.  :2blush

I think all the sc-ch3-sc are forming picots, aren't they?  so they just sit there and do not get stitched into.  

Can you take a photo of what you have made so far?  a close up of a portion of it to show the stitches would be really helpful.

Hi again!  :waving   For reference of people who want to help, I tried to find a good photo of the doily to link to, but I can't.  Somebody is selling the book on etsy and there's a photo of the back of the book.   the doily is in the left column, second from top, w/pumpkin in the center and black cats at the edge  https://www.etsy.com/listing/550669369/the-big-book-of-holiday-crochet-by?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=9eb382bb-382d-4078-9ca4-ef6a5849470d&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6I7Uncud1gIVmbXACh0Z_AZgEAQYAyABEgK-8fD_BwE

the book is still available from epatternscentral but there's no pic of this pattern.

Red Dog, what is the title of this specific pattern?   

Archived