Pattern help

RED DOG

Question

I hope I have this under the right category this time.  There is no link to a pattern. I will try to explain my problem as best as I can.  I am making a doily and the pumpkin is in the center and now I started the white part of the doily.  Rund1: Join white with sc in any ch sp, [ch5, sc in next ch sp } around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.  (72 ch sps). This is the last time the number of spaces you are supposed to have is mentioned.  RNDS2-7: Ch1, sc in ch sp just made, {ch5, sc in next ch sp} around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnds:8-11:  Ch1,(sc ch3, sc} in ch sp just made, (ch5, (sc, ch3, sc) in next ch sp) around, to join Ch 2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnd12:  Sk ch-3sps, ch1, (sc, ch3, sc) in ch sp just made, ch5, (sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, (tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, (ch5, sc, ch3, sc) in next ch sp,ch5 (sc, ch3, tr)in next ch sp,(tr ch3 sc) in next ch space) around, to join, ch2, dc in first sc forming last ch sp.

Rnd13:sk ch-3 sps, ch1,(sc ch3, tr) in ch sp just made, *(tr, ch3, sc) in next ch sp, ch5, (sc, ch3, sc) in sp between 2 tr, ch5**, ( sc, ch3, tr) in next ch sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at**, join which sl sit in beg sc.

I understand how to do it I just seem to have too many stitches.  The next step is to put 24 leaves around the circle between 2 groups of triple crochets.  At the end of row 12 I have 960 stitches.  I am just now staring row 13 and I can tell I have way too many spaces for the leaves to go around evenly.  I also wanted to know on rnd13 after the second asterik do I do the (sc ch3,tr) and then go back to the beginning of the asterik. I was not sure about the (sc, ch3, tr) after the double asterik.

I really want to make this project and I don't know where I went wrong with the spaces.  Thank you for any help you can give.

If the last stitch on 6 & 8 were left unworked, then they are the ones used for attaching.

I sometimes get so involved in a pattern that I start over thinking it. You may be that caught up with this pattern. My solution is to walk away from it for a while. Do something else. Anything to take your mind off of it. If your mind is still trying to over think it after a break, try making something quick and simple, lile a dishcloth. Come back with a fresh, clear mind.

i think you are supposed to go in the middle of the tr group; just add on your new yarn there.  after that i am not sure at all.  if i were you i would just do my best and go by the photos in the pattern.  count how many leaves there are, and just do whatever you need to to get than number and have them spaced evenly around the circumference.  then after you get the leaves made, you can go ahead with the outer part of it.  

but thats just me, and like i probably said already, i hate long wordy written patterns so i usually look for diagrammed patterns or just go by the photos.  

I hope you are not getting tired of my questions but I have another one. I will send you a picture of the first leaf I did and I am starting the second one. For the 2nd Leaf( the one I am working on now) it says to Repeat Rows2-4 of First Leaf.  I have done that but after that row it says to turn. I don't know whether to turn or not. Row5: To join, Dtr in end of row 6 on previous leaf, I get that, sl st in first st on last row of this leaf, are they talking about row 4 that I just joined with row 6 or row3. And then for Row 7 its says to Dtr in end of row 6 and looking at the picture the Dtrs are not done in the same row they are seperated by at least 2 rows so I definitely think this is an error.  If you can, let me know what you think. My chain got pulled loose, anyway if I try to turn and do it the other way its not easy.

Mary

II tried to stretch this out more so you could see it better.image.thumb.jpg.0b05d2253bfd62f131239da38afed229.jpg

image.jpg

On 9/22/2017 at 8:25 AM, RED DOG said:

I hope you are not getting tired of my questions but I have another one. I will send you a picture of the first leaf I did and I am starting the second one. For the 2nd Leaf( the one I am working on now) it says to Repeat Rows2-4 of First Leaf.  I have done that but after that row it says to turn. I don't know whether to turn or not. Row5: To join, Dtr in end of row 6 on previous leaf, I get that, sl st in first st on last row of this leaf, are they talking about row 4 that I just joined with row 6 or row3. And then for Row 7 its says to Dtr in end of row 6 and looking at the picture the Dtrs are not done in the same row they are seperated by at least 2 rows so I definitely think this is an error.  If you can, let me know what you think. My chain got pulled loose, anyway if I try to turn and do it the other way its not easy

you asked "after that row it says to turn. I don't know whether to turn or not."   I don't think you should turn, it seems like that would twist the leaf.  

you asked "sl st in first st on last row of this leaf, are they talking about row 4 that I just joined with row 6 or row3"   I think that must mean to sl st into row 4, to anchor the top of the ditr into the previous leaf.   what does the rest of row 5 say?  and what does row 6 say?

you asked "for Row 7 its says to Dtr in end of row 6 and looking at the picture the Dtrs are not done in the same row they are seperated by at least 2 rows so I definitely think this is an error."       yes i think thats wrong too.  if row 7 says to dtr into row 6 of previous leaf, then I think on row 4, it should have said to dtr into row 4 of previous leaf, not row 6.

hope this makes sense !  

Row:5. To join, Dtr in end of row 6 on previous leaf, sl st in first st on last row of this leaf, ch3, dc in same st, dc in each st across with 2 dc in last st, turn (13dc)

Row6:Ch3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 5 sts, fptr around next st, dc in each of next 5 sts, leaving last st unworked, turn.

Row7:  To join Dtr in end of row 6 on previous leaf, sl st in first stitch of last row of this leaf, ch3, dc dec in first 2 sts, dc in each st across to last st, 2 dc in last st, turn. (14 sts)

Well the Dtrs  are definitely seperated, I could just Dtr into 4 and 6, or Dtr into 6 and 8, I don;t think it would matter

I can tell you that on row6 you leave the last st unworked and also on row 8.

I think you are right I should not turn after row 4 because on Row 5 you are not starting out with a Chain (if that makes sense.

I went back to round 8 and redid everything and it looks fine, just the way it is supposed to and I have 24 of those little picot stitches and 24 of the tr groups.  So the next part are the white leaves.  A little confused about where to put my needle and the stitches.  Row: 1 with WS of tablecloth facing, join white with sl st in sp between any 2 tr groups, ch2 (ch2 counts as first hdc), hdc in next st, dc in next ch sp leaving remaining stitch unworked turn ( 3 sts).  I am not sure where to start the leaf and I will be working across so after the ch2 what is the next stitch.  Thanks.  I will send a pic of what I have done.

image.jpg

I think you are right.  I am overthinking it. I do have another project to work on and I am going back to that for awhile. Its a very easy pattern.  I know your right about row 6 and 8.  Thanks so much for the advice.  Have a great day.

I was working on a project that many of you helped me with.  I just wanted to share the finished project with you.  I just finished it.  I could not have done it with out all of your hep.  Thanks so much

image.jpg

Yes I can and I cannot believe I could not figure it out.  If only all patterns would give you a count at the end of each round how much easier it would be.  I am very determined to make this doily I just love the pattern.  I appreciate all the help.  The pattern is very long I will probably be back with more questions.  Thanks so much for all the help.

photo's a big help.  RedDog, you are not skipping the sc-ch3-sc, you are stitching into them, basing new chain loops there.  that's wrong.  

you must SKIP THE SC-CH3-SC!!!

do not stitch into those ch3 loops.

honestly, i really hate patterns like this, which are very wordy and go on and on, i find them very confusing.  give me a good photo, or a stitch diagram, and i'm usually good to go, but longwinded written pattern make my eyes cross.  so it's not just you!  from the pattern photos i could locate, i did realize the ch3s are picots (not stitched into),  but i couldn't tell where you were getting hung up until i read and reread your post where you typed "Rnd 13:  Sk c-3 sps."   the period at the end of that finally made the lightbulb go off.  at the beginning of round 12 and 13, it says to skip the ch3 spaces, and that means to skip all of them, not just the ones at the very beginning of the round.  

Can you see what I'm talking about in your piece?  

I called customer service they gave me an email address for pattern services and they told me the pattern was correct as written and that was it.  I asked them if theycould  give me the publisher contact information and they said they could not do that.  So I emailed them again and asked them to ask the publisher to contact me.   I have not heard back.  I tried to stretch it out some.  Thanks so much for all your help

image.jpg

I agree with Kathy. Round 8 starts the replacing the sc with sc,ch3,sc in the ch-5 spaces. In round 9, continue with sc,ch3,sc ONLY IN THE CH-5 SPACES. Ignore the ch-3 spaces. Rounds 10 & 11 are the same as round 9.

I can see that in round 9, you did the attachment  (sc,ch3,sc) in every ch-5 space and every ch-3 space. That doubled your count from 72 to 144. Then you did it again in round 10, doubling the count to 288. And again in round 11, doubling the count to 576.

When you do rounds 8-11 ONLY in the ch-5 spaces, the count will remain 72.

Rip back to rnd 7. Make sure the countis 72. Then go foward again.

look at the big photo of the doily in your pattern.  you can see it looks just like yours up to a point.  then yours starts to ruffle, but the pattern photo shows the sc-ch3-sc picots are sitting under the bigger ch loops and the picots are not stitched into.  i don't see unstitched-into picots in yours, i see all ch loops are stitched into. 

if i'm looking at it wrong, can you flatten out part of the ruffly section and take a photo of that?  

meant to also ask, how did you try to contact the publisher?  DRG/Annies used to have pretty good pattern support.  i think they are still selling this book in ebook format on epatternscentral, so one hopes they still have some kind of support for those patterns.  tell us how you tried to contact the publisher and maybe we can locate a better route to to contact them.  

8 minutes ago, RED DOG said:

I did skip them

In what I can see of the beginning of the very ruffled rows, it looks like you worked into them.  ???

What I think the pattern means is to skip every sc,ch3, sc.  all the way thru the round, not just the first one in the round.  

Archived