Carol kirby

Aunt dots double cross afghan pattern

Welcome to the 'ville!

Sadly, Carol Wolf has removed her patterns from the 'net because she was getting pirated (people were copying her patterns and selling them as theirs).  And per the rules of this forum and copyright laws, if any of us had a copy we couldn't share it.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aunt-dots-double-crossed-afghan

I can't quite tell what the stitch pattern is, but probably no one but a fellow crafter would know if you didn't just make a 2-color striped blanket using SC, then making a 2-color border in SC with a picot edge (or HDC, maybe).  Or, 'play with' some SC variations.  I can't quite see the stitch well enough to guess what it might be.  Here's a link to a bunch of stitches - I haven't figured out how they sort the main crochet page, but if you go to  http://newstitchaday.com/category/stitchionary/crochet-stitches/  you might find something (this site used to be organized better, or I'm just missing something).  Here's another site, I was thinking it might be a paired stitch, which is here (plus some others that might be interesting) 

I think it is disgusting that someone would do that. I always make sure the designer's name is in the pattern document. If it is in PDF format, I make an extra Word document so I can record the designer's name and link.

I design patterns for the fun of it and share them. I've recently read where people are "hijacking" designs and think it is as disgusting as hacking.

Actually, it's not a copyright violation because this is Carol Wolf's actual post from her website, which was offered freely and without password protection, thus was archived.

Carol Wolf (and only Carol Wolf) can have the archive removed from the internet by contacting the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine and asking them to exclude her pages.

As for people stealing other's intellectual property, I agree it's sad state of affairs. Don't share it openly on the internet. If you are willing to share openly for free, then be prepared to give it totally away.  I've been there and done that and it is harder than you think to get any satisfaction after the fact. Offering "freebies" behind closed, password protected sites, like this one, offers you a little more protection.

If you say that sharing this link is a violation, then by sharing any link to an open website would ALSO be a violation. The Wayback Machine operates legally (like I said, been there done that). I was able to have my pages removed (but I did have all my documentation for my website, etc).

If the admins want to ban all outside links on this forum, that is their right, and about the only way to make any effort into stemming online piracy.

If someone here knows Carol Wolf personally, I suggest you share with her that her online content is still available via the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine, and that she should contact them to see about excluding her pages, if she so desires.

This site allows links to sites that legitimately sells or gives patterns. Sites like the wayback machine, pinterest, ect. are excluded. If a site or page on a site, that includes an entire pattern, wasn't published by the pattern's owner, it's not allowed. The wayback machine is a copy of an original page. The original page may have been created by the owner, but the copy is not.

GeeAMouse, regardless of your opinion, posting ARCHIVED links an is a violation of the terms of use of this forum.  Please re-read the terms of use.

Edit, oops Redrosesdz, I posted as the same time as you it appears.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

GeeAMouse, regardless of your opinion, posting ARCHIVED links an is a violation of the terms of use of this forum.  Please re-read the terms of use.

Edit, oops Redrosesdz, posted as the same time as you it appears.

Yes, as I said the admins have the right to block outside links. What I am saying is that it is NOT a legal copyright violation. So Ms. Wolf needs to go over and have it removed! Geez, people. 

Since the original poster's question has been answered, I am going to close this thread.

If anyone wants additional information on why we do not allow links to patterns in the Wayback Machine, you can consult our Terms of Use for more information. You're also welcome to send us a message, and we'll talk with you privately about our site policies.