About "Seamless Crochet" book

I checked it out from the library, didn't buy it.  My opinion, if you can get it from a library, do that first before investing in it.  

I think the title and cover description are misleading.  It's a very specific technique of making motifs continuously, without fastening off at all. It's nothing like what we usually mean by join as you go.  I guess you've seen the preview on amazon, it gives a good idea of the contents.  

I did swatch one or two of the patterns. it's a lot more complex than the normal process of making separate motifs and jayg.  I didn't care for the resulting fabric as the method of going from motif to motif makes the fabric lay funny.  

As I recall the Dvd was helpful in grasping the technique.  

I guess a lot might depend on why you are thinking of buying it.  I found it interesting to see what the technique is and to give it a try, but there were multiple things I did not like about the process and the results so was very glad I didn't buy it.

I'm not sure what you mean by ending up with just one pattern?  

your review is pretty much what I expected the book to be.  I really like the pattern on the front cover but some of the others did not tempt me - that would be 'the one pattern' I would get from this purchase.

:ty so much for answering my call for help  :hug

there are so many crochet books that I would really enjoy so I think I'll give this one a pass.

I always ask my library, if they don't have it, they have lists of libraries that might. They can sometimes arrange library to library loans (it takes a few days though). I also go to book stores, A.C. Moores and Michael's.

Ellie 13

1 hour ago, Ellie 13 said:

I always ask my library, if they don't have it, they have lists of libraries that might. They can sometimes arrange library to library loans (it takes a few days though). I also go to book stores, A.C. Moores and Michael's.

Ellie 13

because of my mobility issues I can't get to our library these days.  I'm not even sure that our lib is "accessible".    For most of my life 'My Library' was a central focus.  it has been hard to give it up but it is one of those places where RL just gets in the way. :rofl

Darski, just to let you know, it's available as an e-book too https://www.interweave.com/store/seamless-crochet-ebook     Maybe your library  can access that for you, check out the ebook to you so you can read it on your computer.   Along the same lines,, if you're not able to get out, it's possible they would mail the physical book to you.  libraries in many places are expanding their offerings these days to stay relevant.  

slightly off-topic, it annoys the heck out of me :rant  that it's described as revolutionary, one of a kind, so innovative, pioneering.  the book is totally based on a Japanese book which is the original source of the continuous method https://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Crochet-Motif-60-Japanese/dp/B007ST2KWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503766173&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+continuous+crochet

• 2 weeks later...

When I volunteered at the library they had a service called "homebound book lovers".  Patrons would make lists of books they would like or call in a request and as soon as that book was available or could be ordered from another library one of the staff or a volunteer would deliver it.  There was one regularly scheduled delivery day each week with more added if the requests were more frequent.  I live in a smallish town so maybe big cities don't offer it. 

I did buy this book and enjoyed reading and learning about the process involved.  I do have to admit to not using it all that much but I did find it contained different patterns even though the method was primarily the same.

Archived