unrecognized chart

nashwa

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  That row would be a wrong side row relative to the preceding row, so you have to read it left to right.  You skip two stitches, make that dc, then either behind or in front of it, you make dc in the skipped stitches in the normal order.  

or, if this has to be a right side row, you could skip a stitch, then do the 2 regular dc, then make the crossing dc into the skipped stitch.  (edit to add---I guess this would be the most typical way to work it , example tutorial http://www.dummies.com/crafts/crocheting/stitches/how-to-make-a-crossed-double-crochet-stitch/   )

somehow i think it would line up better if done the way i first posted, but you could try it either way.  

This is a faulty chart in that the symbol for a stitch involving a cable or crossed stitch like that should have a hook going one way or another to tell you whether it goes in front or behind the other stitches.

Here is a site that shows the symbols for front post and back post http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/chart_crochet.html

I'm going to guess that the stitches are meant to cross over the front side of the fabric. So, make it in front if row 1 is the wrong side, or make it in back if row 1 is the right side.  Hint, if this is a garment and row 1 is a hem (or any edge), make row 1 the wrong side - reason, the wrong side edge will turn slightly toward the body, which looks better than the fabric turns slightly outward.

Granny Square, I don't think it is a post stitch, I think all the stitches go into the top of the stitch as normal rather than around the post.  

(edit to add---oof, my brain is not working very well today, must be eclipse aftereffects lol.  What i should say is that it wouldn't have to be post sts, it could just be regular sts.  )

Archived