Pattern help

Ramie

Question

I am a beginner and was wondering if someone might help with this pattern that seems very simple but for some reason is not working out for me. I have done items more complicated than this but...

http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownload/download/link/product_id/106481/

in Rnds 5-22, the patterns calls for an increase of 6 sc, per row. Is this 6 sc only for every row until row 22. Because I think the hat should lie flat, but it seems to be curling.

Thank you,

Embarassed by such a simple question. :(

10 answers to this question

Nah, actually this sort of question gets asked a lot (keeping circles flat).  

There's a formula that works for most people to make a flat circle.  For SC, start with 6 stitches and increase 6 sts each round.  For HDC it's 8 or 9 stitches, for DC it's 12.  More increases for the taller stitches to keep the ratio of diameter to circumference the same.

I say most people because some have taller stitch tensions than others, which makes a difference if you are working in the round.

When you say curling, is it ruffling, or is it curling up (cupping)?  If it is cupping sort of close to round 22, I wouldn't worry because that's close to where you are going to be decreasing stitches anyway.  If it's ruffling, or severely cupping well before round 22, then you may have to make adjustments.

Cupping = diameter is too great for the circumference.  You'll need to add more increases.  Some patterns you could also make shorter stitches, but this is already SC...

Ruffling = diameter is too small for the circumference.  You'll need to subtract some increases - maybe make a round (or more, scattered) without them.  Some patterns you could make taller stitches, but that works better if you're working DC (or better, a DC lacy patten) and throw in a round of triples, not as noticeable.

Welcome to the ville!

it's pretty normal for the top of a hat to not lie perfectly flat.  you want some roundness to the shape.  I can't add a thing to Granny Square's description /explanation.  

two things the pattern doesn't say, but that you may want to do (not related specifically to curling)----use a marker at the end of each round, so you can accurately count the stitches in that round.  And don't stack the increases on top of each other from row to row, because that will make a hexagon shape instead of a circle.  

Thank so much for your help and prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

So I understand, each row is the same, you increase by 6 stitches, and then do you divide the 6 into the number of stitches per row, to evenly space out? 

This is my second time, I did the last try bigger and it didn't look right. Sometimes I think I make things more complicated than they are. :)

the hat.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ramie said:

So I understand, each row is the same, you increase by 6 stitches, and then do you divide the 6 into the number of stitches per row, to evenly space out? 

I don't usually worry about getting the increases perfectly evenly spaced.  but yes, divide the total per row by 6. 

in your photo, how many rows have you done?  

Hi,

What I have done is 10 rows, but I am pretty sure I did it wrong. I am going to start again. Like I said I think I am making this more complicated that it is. I have whole list of rows written out and divided by 6. I am just going to do what you said add 6 stitches and not worry if they are exactly spaced out.

It is starting to cup.  It shouldn't do that, certainly after only ten rows.  I would mark the end of each round and count stitches at end of each round to be sure you have done all the increases.  

I have only one thing to add: If a different size hook and yarn weight are used, the gauge will be completely different due to size of stitches. :)

Squinting at your photo, I am counting 39 stitches (I might be off a couple).  But after 10 rows, you should have 60, so you've missed some increases somewhere.

For the spacing out, you could do something like moving the increases over 3 stitches each round. The idea is just to keep them from stacking on top of each other.  Remember if you do that, you'll have to figure where that count will take you from the fist stitch.  It also might not hurt, if you're having trouble spotting where the increases are, to put a stitch marker  in each increase; you can buy stitch markers, but I like to use bobby pins because they're cheap, don't snag and don't easily fall out.  You could use safety pins or safety pins as well.

Welcome to Crochetville! 

^All great advice! Here's the formula I like to use...

1: 6 sc

2: inc in every sc (12 stitches)

3: inc, sc around  (18)

4: sc, inc, sc around (24)

5: inc, sc, sc, sc around (30)

6: sc, sc, inc, sc, sc around  (36)

7: inc, 5 sc around (42)

8: 3 sc, inc, 3 sc around (48)

Odd rounds: inc, (rnd # - 2) sc around. 

Even rounds: (1/2 of rnd #-2) sc, inc, other 1/2 of sc around.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies. It's very reassuring to know this kind of support is here, when learning something new. Today I m going to put that hat aside and come back in few days. And then look at it fresh. Hope I have something better to show. 

Archived