Afghan Help

Avon Lady

Question

I'm working on a round ripple afghan, from Mary Maxim--called Mosaic Afghan..  I haven't done many round ripple afghans, so I'm wondering about something.  I'm on Round 9, and using the recommended hook, and have noticed that it is not coming out flat!  It isn't curled, like it would if I weren't making enough stitches around, but is kind of...well...the only word I can think of is "lumpy"!!! :reyes  It looks like the shells have too many dcs in them!  But they're only 2dc, ch 2, 2dc--so that surely can't be the problem!  Has anyone experienced this?  And will it "work itself out" as I continue enlarging it?  I like the pattern, so I'm hoping it'll look fine when I'm done!  (I think this is why I've avoided round ripples until now....:yes  Thanks for any advice you can give me!  I have 3 other projects to work on in the meantime, so I'll just wait for someone's advice!)

6 answers to this question

I'm finding the pattern at Mary Maxim, but not finding it on Ravelry to see if anyone has made it and made comments about ruffling.  I've not made it, so can't say...but I have made lots of round doilies that ruffled at some point but 'healed' themselves by the end (I only had one that didn't).  I'd keep going and see what happens.  

The way I 'fixed' the doily that didn't heal itself was switch to taller stitches...maybe you could do this at a color change to camouflage it (design feature...?.) ;)  But I'd work more rounds first.

Thanks, Granny Square!  I thought maybe it might heal itself...  Maybe the weight alone might help...  It really doesn't look that bad, but I was afraid it might get worse.  We'll see, won't we?

Finally got a chance to drop in for more than 5 minutes- phew!

I have this Ripple on my very long "To Do" list. I found the info on Ravelry to all the comments in "Projects".

I did notice a few people mentioned it didn't lay flat and some even added extra chains. Might be worthwhile to scan through a few comments. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips.  I'm still struggling with it.  I changed some of the first rounds to no increase, and that helped a little.  Now I need to take out the last two rows (rows 9 and 10, I think...) because I missed some stitches!  (Couldn't be because I was watching Nascar, could it??)

Archived