Comfortghan help request.

mseavey2

I need some help and would like to know if anyone can help me. One of my best friends passed away this week. He was only 31 years old. Apparently what happened was he went into a diabetic coma while he was at home. He lived by himself, so there was no one there to help him. His work called his mother to find out where he was and she is the one that found him in front of his computer. He had already passed when she found him. He left behind an eight year old son. Needless to say it has been a very tough week. I would like to make a comfortghan for his mother and his son. The mother's I would make in a burgandy color and the son's I would make in a blue color. Here's the problem. I have never done anything like this before. Is there anybody that can guide me throught the process as well as help me out with this? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.:ty

I too am sorry to hear of this and wish I was not already overwhelmed with projects. I can offer a little advice and an open email/PM if you have questions about the process.

The first thing, is to specify what type of yarn you would like and the size of squares. I would suggest acrylic yarn and if you want all the squares to be similar in color you can even specify brand name. Since you are wanting to make 2 comfortghans I would suggest 12" squares, then you will not need a ton of squares and it will go together rather quickly. 20 squares makes a nice lapghan and 24 would be for like a twin bed. Also be specific about when you would like people to send you the squares so that people can be honest about whether they have the time to contribute. If you want the squares within 2 weeks or 2 months, just let everyone know.

I found on the few that I have put together that I preferred sewing the squares together, but I know several people hate sewing and would prefer to crochet them. Either method works well and looks beautiful.

PM or email me if you need any other advice or have questions about collecting squares or assembling them.

Thank you for the help. I will take your suggestions and go with acrylic yarn and 12 inch squares. Like I stated, I would like to make his mothers a burgendy color and his son's a blue color. If I could have the squares by November 28th that would be great. Thanks again for all the help.

i am so sorry to hear about your friends sons passing. i can do a couple of them. probably the blue ones as i don't think i have any burgandy yarn, if i do will do a couple of those also, but put me down for 2 / 12 in blue squares. thanks for giving us so much time, i right now am making squares for a couple of people so am glad you don't need them like now :lol :lol i pray that this family has some closure and that they will take comfort in knowing that they are thought about. could you pm me the addy please and the name i need to send too(yours) :lol :lol thanks so much:manyheart :manyheart

Well I was all done doing squares since I'm so slow at getting them out lately & clicked on your post & it touched my heart :( I have type 1 diabetes & it's just so sad about your friend :( My hubby worries about leaving me home when he goes out of town for the same reason.

I can check my stash & see what I have I probably have both so I can send at least 1 of each.:hug I'm so sorry for your loss :hug

I would like to send some squares. I have an eight year old son and it breaks my heart to think of this sweet little boy losing his dad. Please PM me with your address so I can send you some squares. It is so kind of you to do this for your friend.

I have both burgundy and blue so will make one of each.

My Dad was at my cousin's house when her boyfriend died of a blood clot in the heart. My cousin and her boyfriend had had a baby boy just two weeks earlier. It's sad how sudden death can be.

Just want to let you know that I have one blue square done. I apologize for how long it's taken. I'll send that one along on Friday. Let me know if you still need more blue squares. If I have time I'll make another one. It just took a lot longer than I anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived