Hello. I'm Pilipote

Pilipote

Hello everyone. I'm Pilipote (that's the surname I had as a child).

I'm Belgian, French speaker. 

I'm a knitter, not a "crocheter". I made my first crochet sweater last month (Drops Sea Nymph) . I liked crocheting. A lot.

Afterward, I bought a lovely cotton to crochet with but I couldn't because it's too "splitty" for learning. I started a knitting project with it instead. 

I've always delayed learning crochet because I didn't find pattern that I felt like doing. I'm sure this community will help in this matter.

Also, I find it difficult to learn when the yarn are "splity". Cotton are often splity. Do you know one that would be soft enough but not splitting?

26-2.jpg

Welcome to Crochetville and to crocheting! 

I'm in the US, so I'm unfamiliar with the yarn available in Belgium. However, if you're finding that you're splitting yarn when you crochet, it's more likely that you're using the wrong type of hook for your style & tension.

Hooks range from very pointy (Susan Bates) to very round (Boyes). The throats (part under the hook tip) vary by brand, too. Here's an article about hooks...

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/02/the-best-crochet-hooks/

What you can do is buy or borrow several brands all in the same size hook. Then using the same "splitty" cotton yarn, make a sample about 5" x 5" with each hook. When you're done, you'll know which brand works easiest for you. It's a pain to do it, but it'll save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Archived