Please help

marie.gazey3@ntlworld.com

Question

Please can someone help...

The abbreviation 'vst' says htr, c1, htr.. what does the c1 mean.. 

Also, on the beginning of each row it says for e.g... 

Row2: ch2, turn, 2htr in first st, (vst, in next chain space) etc... I'm confused as to the turn after ch2 at the beginning of each row.

I appreciate anyone that could help as I'm trying to do this cardigan for my baby grand-daughter.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

The c1 in the vst, aka v-stitch or v-st, is a chain 1. I suspect they meant to type ch1 and forgot the h.

When you get to the end of a row, you have to do 2 things to start a new row. Some patterns have the 2 instructions at the end of a row, some at the beginning of the next row and some split them between the rows. Here are the 2 things...

1. Turn. This means to turn your work over. You can turn clockwise (towards you) or counter-clockwise (away from you). Whichever way you pick, always turn it over the same way. I do clockwise. The purpose is to make it so your last stitch in the previous row becomes where you do the first stitch for the new row.

2. Chain #. The initial chain's purpose is to get you to the height of the next stitch. For taller stitches, it counts as a stitch. For shorter stitches, like SC, it's ignored in the stitch count. Patterns usually tell you if you should count it or not. This chain is sometimes called "chaining up."

You can chain, then turn or you can turn, then chain. Whichever way makes sense to you. As long as you always do the 2 things the same every time, it'll look correct.

One thing I noticed is that your pattern is in UK terms. There's a difference between British and American crochet terms. A UK htr is exactly the same as a US hdc. Which are you used to doing?

I hope this helps! Let us know, especially if you're still confused. :)

Archived