Pattern reading

rosemary cortez

Welcome to Crochetville! 

What's the pattern? Do you have a link to where the pattern is available? (A link directly to the actual pattern is against forum rules due to copyright violations.)

What row/round are you doing? It's okay to copy the problem instruction and 1 or 2 rows before, if they will help us to figure it out.

A picture of what you have so far may help, too.

This may help...

http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-curlicue/

It means that your stitch count at the end of row 12 is 84 stitches. You're increasing each row by 4 stitches. 3 stitches in the first stitch adds 2 to the count and 3 stitches in the last stitch adds another 2 to the count.

Here are the counts:

Row 8 - 68 stitches 

Row 9 - 72 stitches 

Row 10 - 76 stitches 

Row 11 - 80 stitches 

Row 12 - 84 stitches 

Here's the link. http://jessieathome.com/panda-wrap/

Thank You sooooo much. i unterstand now. Can i plz keep you as freind on crochetville? Im handicap and dont get out any more only to Dr. visit. Im ok on viedo because I'm a visual person. So I follow the videos quite well but when it comes to reading a pattern I'm not that good at all. But pattern States beginners project I really don't think beginners know what all those symbols mean but anyways I do want to thank you and if I get stuck again may I call on you thank you your friend forever bless you

You're welcome! Of course you can add me as a friend. But, if you have any questions about crochet or a pattern please ask in the forum. There are several people who answer questions. (Sometimes several at one time.) Sometimes someone may not explain the way that you need and another's answer makes more sense. Sometimes you get helpful insights from different answers. So, it's always best to ask in the forum. :)

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome   to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

There is a section called General Crochet help.  In there you can find a thread for asking for pattern help, or you can ask there.

You asked about row 19 in private message. I'm answering here, because I don't do private help.

Row 19: Turn, ch 5 (counts as a dtr), (tr, dc) in same st, *ch 1, dc in next st, [ch 1, skip 1, dc in next st] 5 times, repeat from * 10 more times, (tr, dtr) in same st as last dc (all 3 sts should be in the last st). – {137 sts}

1. Turn, ch5 (counts as a dtr) tr, dc in same stitch - make the initial chain and then a tr & a dc in the same stitch as the initial chain. 

2. Ch1, dc in next st - chain 1 then a dc in next stitch. (Don't skip any stitches.)

3. Ch1, skip 1, dc in next st - chain 1, skip 1 stitch,  then dc in the next stitch. The chain will be over the skipped stitch. This is also known as making a ch1 sp (chain 1 space.)

4. Ch 1, skip1, dc in next st

5. Ch 1, skip 1 dc in next st

6. Ch 1, skip 1, dc in next st 

7. Ch 1, skip 1, dc in next st 

8. Repeat steps 2-7 10 more times - there will be a total of 11 sets of steps 2-7.

9. Tr, dtr in same stitch as last dc.

Here are the counts:

3 + (2 + (2 × 5)) × 11 + 2 = 3 + 12 × 11 + 2 = 3 + 132 + 2 = 137 stitches 

Thank you again for your support and help. I have searched and searched for the form to submit my questions I'm 76 years old I don't really know if I was looking at it or not I search on my cell phone maybe the cell phone to use some articles out. But again thank you for being so kind and responding to my question I just hate it to undo all my work but with your help I will be able to go on. If you can send me a photo of the form I will look for it again bless you and have a great day

You're welcome! 

I didn't say form. I said forum. Where we're typing right now is a topic in the Crochetville forum. We're in the Introduction section of the forum. If you go to the home page, you"ll see a list sections, starting with "Introduction." Scroll down the list, until you see "General Crochet Help" and "Crochet Stitch Help." Start a new topic in either help section. (This is what I meant when I said ask in the forum.)

When you come to Crochetville on your phone select the the three line icon top right (on my phone any way)

Select browse

Select forum

Scroll down to crochet help

Select which type of help you need e.g. general crochet help

Select new topic and ask away

• 2 weeks later...

is this the one?  https://yarnutopia.com/2017/01/22/sharp-dressed-man-vest/

i think it should work out ok with plain hdc. the main thing a post stitch could affect would be row height as it will be a little shorter than a plain stitch.  but the pattern goes by measurements not number of rows for the main body so that will be fine.  the armhole depth might be affected.

overall  it will look different than the picture of course.   i notice the back is done in a different stitch pattern which has a little bit of texture, so if you do the front in all hdc, it will look much more plain than the back---that might not be the look you want since usually the back of a vest would be more plain than the front.  

if you don't want to do the post stitches, you could look for a different pattern that doesn't include them.  

1 hour ago, magiccrochetfan said:

i think it should work out ok with plain hdc. the main thing a post stitch could affect would be row height as it will be a little shorter than a plain stitch.  but the pattern goes by measurements not number of rows for the main body so that will be fine.  the armhole depth might be affected.

overall  it will look different than the picture of course.   i notice the back is done in a different stitch pattern which has a little bit of texture, so if you do the front in all hdc, it will look much more plain than the back---that might not be the look you want since usually the back of a vest would be more plain than the front.  

if you don't want to do the post stitches, you could look for a different pattern that doesn't include them.  

Thank u, I think you are right it will be fine with half double crochet the back is done in a g hook it's single crochet double crochet single crochet double crochet that's what consists of the stitches in the back so it's plain but it looks fine and it will look fine thank you very much for all your help I'm so glad you guys are out there to support and help me have a great week and God bless

On 8/23/2017 at 9:44 AM, magiccrochetfan said:

Thank u, I think you are right it will be fine with half double crochet the back is done in a g hook it's single crochet double crochet single crochet double crochet that's what consists of the stitches in the back so it's playing but it looks fine and it will look fine thank you very much for all your help I'm so glad you guys are out there to support and help me have a great week and God bless

can anyne tell me how this yarn works???

1503843625163-1513694912.jpg

Archived