Pattern help

Crochetnewb

Question

13 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville!  Sounds like you should make a dc in each dc and in each ch space.  Otherwise it would say to skip one or the other----which would only give you half as many stitches so that wouldn't work very well.  

To me, if you worked all the way around the blanket and only skipped two stitches, that's a success!  Also that color work looks complicated to me, so kudos on that!  

When you say it's wavy, do you mean it looks like round two is too big?  Can you post a photo?  

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/houndstooth-throw pattern link for reference

I'm only partway through the second edge with the 2 missed. I will post a pic when I get back to it later today. It is wavy where it almost looked like I was increasing for a chevron, but only a mild one.

It has been a fun pattern. I wanted to try a tapestry project, but should have paid more attention to the "intermediate" classification :)

That is a very impressive pattern.  Tapestry is the easiest (IMO) way to do colorwork.  Really, the hardest part of this pattern is knowing how to crochet over color A with color B (and switching them, also keeping a good tension), and memorizing a different 8-stitch  'x white, y black' pattern repeateach row.

Don't be afraid of pattern difficulty classifications.  When I was starting out patterns usually didn't have them, and fearless teenaged me tackled patterns that were probably over my head but they taught me a lot.  A good idea with any pattern is to skim thru them before starting to make sure you understand any odd new things you will come across.

Well, maybe the one edge is better than I was thinking because it doesn't look quite as severe as I had in my head. My change in tension from when I started to what I had by the time I got to the end is an issue because the blanket doesn't line up properly when folded.

1501716121713218746742.jpg

15017163250211624740700.jpg

I think your border looks fine!  I've noticed sometimes when I take a photo, I can be more objective about my project.  

It may be a little off when folded but that probably will not be noticeable at all when it's being used.  

That came out nicely!  Love the bright colors/

I agree, the difference in tension is not that great.  I don't think it's that unusual for gauge on a large project like that to waver a bit; at the beginning as you're getting into the rhythm of it, toward the end when it gets heavier...

Beautiful! 

I have found that it's almost impossible to get crochet afghans to line up when folding.  Tunisian is a bit better at lining up corners. The reason is because crochet stitches naturally slant. When you turn, the slant cancels the previous row's slant. So, edges appear straight.  However corners won't match exactly. The bigger the afghan and the taller the stitches, the more corners will be off. You can't see it until you try to fold it. I've never seen a "fix", because I just accept that it's part of the charm of hand-made.

Archived