Slanted Granny Squares

Fredja

Question

Hi everybody!! 

I've just recently learnt how to stitch the basic granny stitch and I'm noticing, as you can see in the pictures, that they slant to the right quite a bit. I'm using acrylic perle with a size 3 hook, was thinking on using a half size smaller one (2.50 size one) but not sure if the problem is really in the hook or what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas that could help with this anyone?

20170801_102234.jpg

20170801_102215.jpg

7 answers to this question

The problem is not the hook or your stitches, which are beautiful. The problem is that crochet stitches naturally slant. The solution is to turn it over, like you do with rows. 

Without turning, it looks like...

/////////

////////

////////

Turning, it looks like...

////////

\\\\\\

///////

\\\\\\

Personally, I turn granny squares after each round. Others turn every couple of rounds. If you're making a couple of rounds, turning isn't an issue. However, the more rounds you make, the more it'll skew when you don't turn. 

Try it and let us know how you make out. :)

Bonus to turning each round, it makes it reversible so there's no 'wrong' side. The more rounds, the more the skew builds up when you keep the same side facing you.

I just happened to have finished this white thread granny a few days ago , turning each round; I think it's sitting on the scanner a little crooked, and was just ironed and not precisely blocked,  but it's pretty square. 

Granny Mandala 3.jpg

I agree with RedRoses, turning between rounds will probably take care of the slant.  

At the same time though, I think the fact that you're using a granny square pattern for only one color may be part of the problem.  When you change colors every round, or every few rounds, you don't have to worry about chaining up in the middle of a round to start the new round, you just fasten off the first round and add new yarn for the second round.  I think that makes the fabric more flexible, and it also makes it easier to turn between rounds.  Some one-color square patterns have the join placed where it seems to make the whole thing wonky---for some crocheters anyway:  there seems to be a lot of variation among different crocheters.  I personally get a LOT of skew in my grannies if i don't turn between rounds, but some people never do apparently.   I know there have been discussions about these issues and i just tried to search for some previous threads but apparently i got in too much of a hurry and got a message to wait 7 seconds but lost all my search terms, dates i wanted to search grumble grumble :-(     Anyway people had different suggestions about the joins that could be helpful to you also ; maybe i or someone will be able to find those posts for you too.

ah, I was typing at the same time time as GrannySquare !  

Hi Magic!

In case it does matter where a round starts, I made the above without a pattern, and the 'seam' ends up smack in the middle--some patterns end up near a corner.  You can sort of see the chain up makes the eyelets a little wider from the center 'north'. This would probably be less obvious with squishy yarn versus stiff thread (and it's a coaster for under my cookie jar, so you won't see it ;) ) .

Sometimes if you don't turn, you need to slip stitch to get to where you need to be to start the next round.  You don't (or may not) have to do that if you turn each row (don't think this affects skew potential, just another plus for turning).

Thank you all for your replies!! Since some of you asked for an update, here is a picture of my originally slanted square and a new one I've started in which I've used the turning method;  as you can see the difference is really noticeable :)

20170804_122806.jpg

Archived