Granny Square Connecting

茉絵海

Question

Hi! I'm currently making a blanket, and have a handful of granny squares a fellow crocheter gave me for it. The problem is that some of them are the traditional, open type, and some are the more closed type (if this all makes sense). I was connecting some of the open ones with a border that matches the stitches. I got it from a video and it works really well, since I like having borders on my squares. But the other ones are just sitting there. Is there some way to connect one type to the other? I don't want to waste them, since they're really pretty.

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Do you have a way to take a photo of a few of the squares, and upload it here?  It might help jog our memories of a join pattern that might work with the squares you have. Here are a couple that popped into my head from your description

http://www.dailycrochet.com/free-pattern-this-celtic-lace-join-can-be-used-for-any-type-square/

http://gourmetcrochet.blogspot.com/2010/01/flat-braid-join-how-to.html

Welcome from me too!  I think both of the joins GrannySquare linked are very pretty; I have used the flat braid and it works great and is lovely.  You can adjust these to suit your squares by skipping whatever number of stitches you need to between join points; you don't have to skip the same number all the way around the square, or on adjoining squares.  At the same time you can change the number of chains you use to get from one join point to the next.   And this is probably true of the join you've already used as well: just skip, and chain, the number you need to, and you should be able to use it on a solid square.

And as GrannySquare said if you post photos we can make more specific suggestions.  

Archived