Sc4tog over both ch spcs

Jackie113

Question

Its the bottom base round one. 

I know how to sc#tog but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it in a chain space. It seems to be saying to sc 4 tog over two chain spaces. And going by the stitch count at the end of the row it should end up giving you 3 stitches. (!?) I'm wondering if this is a translation error since the pattern was originally in Russian I think. I love the motif design of this pattern but just can't get this round. Any ideas?

12 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I looked at the motif diagrams and didn't see any sc#tog, so it might be a translation issue. I see increases. Then again, I'm not that good with diagrams. Unfortunately, you're going to have to remove the link. It shows the whole pattern, which is against forum rules due to copyright violations. 

What I can do is describe how to do an sc4tog over a chain 2 space. When you're decreasing over a chain space, the chains are included in the count, but not the stitch. Let's say the previous row has sc, ch2, sc and the current row says to sc4tog over the ch-2 sp. You count sc, ch2, sc = 4 stitches. You stitch into the first sc, skip the ch2, stitch into the next sc, and then finish the stitch. (I hope that makes sense!)

Welcome from me too!  

I believe this is the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cargo-tote

if you don't already have the magazine you may find it on eBay or a destash thread here.  It should include directions for the stitches in question.  It wasn't a Russian pattern, notice the magazine name at the bottom of the scan.  That site is full of such instances of pattern piracy, violating the pattern copyrights.  

I think what you are supposed to do is to do the sc4tog INTO the chain spaces.  i think the word "over" adds confusion .  since its at a corner join, the 2 ch sts may already be overlapped and in that case just make the sc4tog into the overlapped space ...if that makes any sense!    But probably they are still next to each other, so base 2 of the sc in the first ch sp and 2 of them in the second ch sp.  

Note that at least one of the projects on Ravelry has notes where the maker felt the stitch counts in some rows are wrong.  Since the magazine is out of print there is nowhere to look for corrections from the publisher/designer.  

Thanks so much for the welcome and the help. I think I can do it now.

This part of the pattern is not in the motif. It comes when you're doing the bottom of the bag and decreasing to form the corners. It's two chain spaces next to each other that you're supposed to sc4tog over (or into). 

I originally saw the pattern on Creative Bug. It does give instructions for special stitches but it just describes a regular sc4tog (insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and draw up a loop 4  times, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.)

So I really don't understand how to yarn over and draw up more than one loop into a chain space, but what you said makes sense about counting the chains as stitches. It's a slouch bag so a few off stitches isn't going to stand out. I'll just muddle through and see what I come up with! :) 

39 minutes ago, Jackie113 said:

So I really don't understand how to yarn over and draw up more than one loop into a chain space, 

Have you tried it yet?  Sometimes it's very hard to envision pattern directions, but it becomes clear once you have yarn and hook in hand and actually do it.  

But i agree with you that a stitch or 2 one way or the other is not going to make a huge difference.  

Yes I sat there for a long time with hook in hand trying to figure it out. But in order to draw up more than one loop you have to have another stitch to go into, not the same space. Now if I was going into the stitches that make up the space I can see it. I just wish there was a video of it so I could see what they mean, but I got past it just doing a sc2tog over the 2 chain spaces and let it go at that. ;)

Oh gosh, I just realized I have been thinking of the sc4tog wrong :oopsI was thinking of what would actually be hdc4tog, and that would be workable for putting 2 of the hdc into each ch sp, because you yarn over before pulling up each loop.  You're right about sc4tog not working unless there are separate sts to go into.  I'm using hdc2tog on a project, so that's my excuse for being confused  i guess :2blush

So....great idea to do sc2tog over the 2 ch sps!   

Off topic and sorry for the hijack, but...can you  guys see the post numbers??  I know they used to be there, but I just noticed they aren't there now when I went looking for Redrosesdz's post 2.  Just doing a sanity check before I report it in the problems section, in case I'm having a senior moment or something. (Windows 10, no post # showing in Edge or Chrome)

This is what I see

no post number.jpg

I also don't see any post numbers, I am using Safari on a Mac.   I honestly don't remember post numbers from before the big changeover; maybe I had my settings to where I didn't see them then...or most likely, I just plain don't remember :confused

Archived