help with rounds

CrochetCatskills

Question

Please if you can help.....

I'm making Linda's Christmas Stocking (easy one)

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/...4/cstocking.htm

and joining dc in rounds

..... ch 3 at beginning but when I get to the last stitch and have to sl I don't know where to put this, in the ch? and if so which one? I am getting a big hole at each join spot all the way down the work..... Please help :eek

ps and if that's not bad enough, I am changing colors every 2 rows

i'm going to put up the pic on the web site for you to see what is happening here..... thanks to you all.

96d5&.src=ph&.tok=phqYU2DBBDGazz_U

is there a way to put the image in here? I'm new at this :hook

18 answers to this question

You can just do CH2 to stand as your DC at the beginning of the round, then join with a slip stitch into the top of the CH2 to join at the end of the round. Sometimes you get a gap because your CH3 is a bit loose.

It is good to remember that the CH3 will never look quite the same as the DC.

To change colours, you can just finish off the round as if you have finished the whole thing, then join in the new colour into where your first stitch would go. Hold the yarn, with a 3 or 4 inch tail, against the work and hook the yarn through the stitch, then carry on with the new colour, working over both tails as you go.

We usually make a red santa sock with a white turned down top so you could use white Eyelash type yarn to make it look like fur.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen:hug

well not sure i did the heel part right but i folded it together for the back seam like they said and here is a pic :hook mine looks flat not like their pic. also think i had the wrong number of stitches when i did the heel part. :think:manyheart:hug hope you can get it worked out ok :yay

lindachristmasstocking024.jpg

Guest Crafterlady46

Maybe if you post the row you are having trouble with someone could help. I don't make socks so I am no help. I don't have yarn skills yet. Your doing a very nice job. I like your socks.

still trying the same pattern-Christmas stocking

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4054/cstocking.htm

This is the problem I'm having..... I did not sew the heel, I don't know how and did not understand the directions, now I'm stuck....

Is there a way to alleviate this problem without taking it all out? Maybe sew in a seam now? or reduce a few stitches?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

UPDATE: I FIXED IT AND IT'S ALL GOING WELL NOW, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP :hook

:ty cindy for the pattern. :hug i have now done this one as the one i was trying to do was complicated for me and this one works together much better. :) i made the smaller size of the 2. :hook started it this am before going out and finished later in day. :tup

You are very welcome but don't thank me for the pattern it was on this site all along. I wish I had the same crochet experience as you, I'm stuck on the heel part and don't know what I'm doing anymore..... I'm just winging it again, :hook

:ty cindy for the pattern. :hug i have now done this one as the one i was trying to do was complicated for me and this one works together much better. :) i made the smaller size of the 2. :hook started it this am before going out and finished later in day. :tup

What about instead of frogging, you just find a nice thick satin ribbon and lace it thru the holes to cover the joins? Like shoelaces, y'know?

Just a thought, that way you wouldn't have to frog, and in my head it's looking cute. :blush

I did not take it out, I started a new one, I will fix this one another time, but thanks that might be a good idea. It's a Christmas Stocking for my Mother In Law's Dog, his first.

Thanks for the pic's and all your help. I'm going to re try this project. The good side looks sooooo good I just can not change the colors. Now I just have to undo it all, :eek and I tied them all off already. I'll try to repost the results.

Again, thank you!

Guest Crafterlady46

two.jpg

Here's mine using the sl st in the 2nd ch. Granted it's thread but it's harder to work with than yarn. Yarn has give thread doesn't. I made a large number of butterfly toilet tissue covers and sold them. Maybe I will post the pattern on my site for everyone if anyone is interested. I will post a picture on one soon. I couldn't have a seam or they would not have sold. I am not an expert I only do what works for me. I hope you will try all of the different ways and find yours. :)

Ch. 3 counts as 1dc. Go ahead and put the stitch marker in the top of the chain 3. Dc all the way around and then put the sl stitch join in the top of the chain 3, where you put the stitch marker. Count your stitches as you go to make sure you don't put an extra stitch in. If you do it correctly, you will get a spiral looking seam like what is showing in the picture tutorial by crochet smart cat.

Hope this helps. I came home and worked up a swatch to help illustrate the dc joining into the ch 3 with a sl st. I think the picture quality is sufficient to see the stitches, but if you are still having problems, let me know and I will try again.

Images are clickable for larger images

th_1028stitches001.jpg th_1028stitches002.jpg th_1028stitches003.jpg th_1028stitches004.jpg

th_1028stitches005.jpg th_1028stitches006.jpg th_1028stitches007.jpg th_1028stitches008.jpg

I'm not at home, or I would work it up and show you the actual joining point. I think you are joining into the 2nd ch of the ch 3, which is also why you don't have a clean color line at the join. Try going up one more stitch on your join, so that it almost looks like you are sl st into the first dc, if that makes sense. I'll try to work up some pictures tonight to share if you think that would help.

I am doing a doily at the moment that does the same thing but I use one less st before the sl st into the ch 3. My row is shell ch 3 sl st (I shell ch 2 then sl st in the 2nd st of the ch3. No big holes this way. I always make a st short before I join. Hope it helps. ;)

Yeah, changing colors is a real drag. Every two rows? UGGG. :eek

yes, for sure, I'm thinking about trashing this idea for now and doing it all in just 2 colors, 1 color body and the other toe, heel & cuff.

:devil

that alone seems hard enough for me

normally you join in 3rd chain of ch 3 but not sure where to find the pattern. i have tried a stocking and got lost on it but may be a different one. if you could post the link we could have a look and see :):hook

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4054/cstocking.htm thanks for your help.

Guest Crafterlady46

I am doing a doily at the moment that does the same thing but I use one less st before the sl st into the ch 3. My row is shell ch 3 sl st (I shell ch 2 then sl st in the 2nd st of the ch3. No big holes this way. I always make a st short before I join. Hope it helps. ;)

Yeah, changing colors is a real drag. Every two rows? UGGG. :eek

normally you join in 3rd chain of ch 3 but not sure where to find the pattern. i have tried a stocking and got lost on it but may be a different one. if you could post the link we could have a look and see :):hook

Archived