Copying a child's dress

Ettina

Question

I found a child's dress in a pile of clothes being given away, and on an initial, superficial look at it, it looked like something I might be able to crochet. But now that I've got it home and trying to copy it, it's seeming a lot more difficult. It's either not actually crochet (maybe filet lace?) or a type of stitch I've never done before. I was hoping I could post some pics and get some advice. I especially like video tutorials, but any help you could offer would be great. It's getting my stubborn up! I really want to know how it was made!

15005804951081367597371.jpg

1500580549679577791079.jpg

15005805694371951758899.jpg

1500580588594807726380.jpg

7 answers to this question

It is crochet.  Unfortunately the interesting multicolored yarn might make it harder to see the stitches.  Bottom to top:

The straps look like DC, 5 across, with SC in black on the sides as an edging.  It looks like the strap was facing front for the top left side, and facing back for the bottom left side of the photo. (which is sort of sloppy IMO, edging should have both been done with the same side facing out).

The flowers look like 2 round granny squares.  i can't quite tell what the grey/white yarn pattern is around the flowers, I'm assuming it's the stitch below showing thru several layers.

It does look like filet open mesh, which is DC into DC, chain 2, skip 2, repeat.

Putting all that together on the top photo...all I can say is, the elements as described above are easy, but you are going to have to count the stitches in each round, and figure out where you need to decrease or increase to get the shaping right.  All this is after you make a swatch to make sure you are getting the same gauge as the dress.

Oops, you wanted tutorials.

First, I've looked for a dress pattern that this might be, and haven't been successful.

There are lots of tutorials on line for basic granny squares.  These appear to be 3 rounds: the center black, next round pink, last grey.

For filet, I'll link 2 tutorials but all you really need to know is the open mesh, which I described above.  The tutorials will tell you that, plus the turning chain required for the number of meshes...I always add an extra couple of chains 'just in case'.  You can pull out the extra chains later, it won't unravel from the starting end, and unravelling is better than consternation at being 1 chain short after a long first row...

http://www.smartcrochet.com/tutorial.shtml   this is the menu page, there are 6 pages - page 1 covers what you need

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

That's fascinating,  thanks for sharing that video.  So many ways to make lace fabric!

My thought process:  There are 5 main parts (straps, 2 flower edgings, the bodice, and the skirt).  I think I would start with the flower granny squares around the waist.  Make 1, then measure and figure the right multiples that you need to make the belt (example, you need a 21" waist, and you luckily make a square 3" the first time, you know you are good to go with this by making a total of 7 squares.  If the square comes out something else, you'll have to do some math to get it to work out, and maybe re-make them a couple of times with different sized hooks to get this right (so maybe don't cut the different yarns until you've got it sized where it needs to be).  Once you have one square the right size, make the others and attach into a belt by 'joining as you go' (there are lots of tutorials on the net for JAYG).  A tip: if you just CAN"T get the squares to work out, you could maybe cheat on the last round of the flowers on 1 or 2 of the squares and add or subtract an extra quarter row; I'd place the anomaly rows in the center back of the dress if you need 1 row adjusted, under the arms if you need 2 rows adjusted...3 rows is a whole square already.  

Now, you have a base to work belt down for the skirt, then belt up for the bodice.  Your choice:  to me the skirt would be easier (simple shaping), but is bigger/takes more time and yarn.  The bodice would be harder because there's more complex shaping, but there's less crocheting.  I think I'd work the bodice next because it will be a tougher puzzle, and more frustrating possibly involving tearing out and re-doing bits (don't forget you'll need to figure the bodice top stitch count to accommodate the flower squares).  The reward to doing the hard part first would be an easy skirt at the end.  Also, if for some reason you simply couldn't figure out the bodice, you'd have less time invested than if you'd done the skirt first.  I'd probably work the straps last to get the fit right with the weight of the whole dress.

edit:  just as I hit 'post', it occurred to me that you should JAYG in each stitch, or sew together.  Often squares are joined just every few stitches, but you'd want it to be sturdier than that since the squares hold the dress together.

I've noticed (in the past here) questions from those new to granny squares are mainly due to not being able to see the structure at the beginning.  Once you are past round 1 the structure becomes more apparent, and it's easier to see where you are supposed to 'go'.

Could you post a pic of what you have that was 'wrong'? I have found more terrible videos than good ones out there (in general, not just granny squares), so that could be the problem.  Below is a non video tutorial with lots of pics - it is using UK terms, I'm not sure if you've encountered the difference but UK trebles are US DC.  It is showing a square changing colors each round, which is what you will want with your granny 'flower'.  

http://www.littletinbird.co.uk/free-crochet-tutorials/basic-granny-square-pattern/

Look closely at what you have after this pattern says 'congrats, you've finished round 1'.  You should have what looks like a plus sign + with chains between.  The chains are the corners, in the next rounds you will be making 2 clusters into each of the corners to, well, turn the corner.  Round 1 is the foundation for the rest, if it's not right the rest won't be, either.

Just a general note...basic granny squares have a few variations, since this is sort of a 'folk' pattern and there's more than 1 way to get from point A to point B, but the end result looks mostly the same.  This tutorial is pretty straightforward, hopefully easy to follow and good for your requirement for a 3 round granny with color changes each round--it may vary a bit from your video.

Archived