Make Free Pattern as YOURS????

Hi All,

I'm from Malaysia. My facebook's friend mostly is from Malaysia and they all crocheters. Hot Issue now, among of them, had officially  registered CROCHET FROG AMIGURUMI as her own intellectual Pattern?? WTH! Is this acceptable? The Frog Pattern is originally is not from Malaysia which created by someone else that willing to share to all crocheters in website. This person followed the pattern in internet, changed the pattern little bit and then registered as her own?? Now, she claimed that whoever do her FROG AMI, need to pay some fee or being sue.. OMG!

The question is how come she can have fee/sue when the pattern of FROG AMI is easily can get easily in internet and FREE!!! Is this acceptable....!??  :angry

p/s: Pis source from google

download.jpg

You are dealing with ethical and legal issues and I am sure your discussions among your friends has been lengthy.  Ultimately it is going to boil down to what the laws allow and will enforce.  Does she have the means to enforce this demand and the law to back her up?  I dont know what its like in Malaysia and it can be really complicated here in the USA.

Copyright laws vary by country, and I don't know Malaysian laws, but I imagine it  would be impossible for her to actually file a legal complaint anyone who made that that frog from the original free pattern on the internet.  Unfortunately, a lot of people are intimidated by threats like this and will pay thieves like this designer ...that's why bad people do this sort of thing.  

If you feel strongly about this, you could contact the original designer who has posted her free pattern and let her know; maybe she can post a warning on her website to avoid the site of the person illegally stealing her design.  If the illegal seller is selling the pattern on a seller hosting site like ETSY, I believe the original designer can have ETSY take action against the illegal seller, if only to ban her from selling on that site.

As there are a lot of similar frpg patterns for sale I would make sure I had the info correct. I found numerous sale ones but none free though. There have been times ( I am not saying this is one though) that someone assumed the free one was the original when it really wasn't. all I'm saying is to get all the facts first before doing anything. If you already have them that's good.

• 1 month later...

I agree with what you are saying, but almost all crochet patterns have some other pattern in them. For example, all medium cardigans start with 132 crochet stitches across the back, and have x-number of rows to the arm opening, etc.Crochet stitches are basically all the same -- occasionally someone comes up with a new one. I think it's really hard to enforce it because it would take a LOT of money to prove it was yours to begin with and then they could turn around, change the stitches a little bit and do the same thing all over again. I think it's a never-ending battle. I found a pattern on Ravelry for a pretty scarf. It was $3. I bought it. Made several and then received a message from another person claiming they were the original designer and I was to immediately remove my photos, discard my finished items or pay her a penalty amount to keep them. Well, I had, in good faith, purchased the pattern and I'll be danged if I'm going to throw it all away. I simply posted in my projects that there was a dispute with the designers and referred them to both. 

I like how you handled the issue. If they have a dispute with the person you bought ot from, then they need to pursue that person and leave the customers, like you, out of it.  All we can do as customers is to try to purchase from legitimate sites, which you did.

Archived