I need help identifying this vintage bedspread

CrochetingRN

Question

Hi everyone. My grandmother has a bedspread  made from motifs that her aunt made a very long time ago. She would like me to add to the sides to make it longer, but I have no idea what type of pattern this is or where to find this pattern. Can anyone help me identify this vintage bedspread and possibly provide help with a pattern. Thank you in advance!

Bedspread crochet.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!  It's very pretty!  I think there are several vintage patterns that are similar, hexagon worked from center out with popcorn stitches.  Will try to find a couple and one back and post a link.

One hurdle may be finding thread that will match the color.  it looks like it has stayed pretty white but finding the exact shade of slightly-off-white may be hard.  

Here's one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swedish-popcorn-bedspread    If you aren't already signed on Ravelry, you may have to do so in order to see it.  I'm pretty sure other versions were published by other companies, but that's the only one i can find right now.

Speaking of versions, I believe your great-aunt made up her own version.  in the photo it looks like she worked in spirals, rather than in rounds, at least for the first few inches of the motifs.  

5 minutes ago, CrochetingRN said:

Thank you so so much! I have been searching for a while now to find this pattern. I will have to give this a try and match the colors as closely as possible. I really appreciate your help!!!

you're welcome, let us know how it goes!

The motifs are round but it's hard to tell from the picture. I cut it to show what It looks like to me.

fullsizeoutput_1f8.jpeg

Archived