Tablecloth pattern square identification

Laura B

Question

My grand mother crocheted this tablecloth for me in 1973 when I graduated from college.  I would like to know what the pattern name is and try to find a copy of this pattern.  I am trying to put together all the history I can gather on crocheted work that I have, for future generations to know as much as possible about each piece.  Thank you.

20170623_164523.jpg

6 answers to this question

The motif looks sort of familiar but I don't know specifically where it is from.  All I can say is it's made of individual motifs that most likely are joined to each other in what is called join as you go method.  It's a classic pattern, And your grandmothers work is beautiful!

There's a site called Ravelry that has a database of patterns, and I looked there but didn't see it.  Probably someone else will locate it for you.  

It looks like it's a large-ish motif, like 5" or so?  Could have also been a thread bedspread motif used for a tablecloth (just adding search options).

I don't recognize it offhand, but it is indeed pretty.  I'm always amazed how the designers work out the 2 patterns, 1 the 4-lobed motif and the other the flower/star that appears where you connect them.

Another place to look is antique pattern library.  This is by publication name or author, but you can search for 'thread', 'table', 'bed' to find likely items--the descriptions are pretty thorough.

I found one very similar, the name is Jonquil Tablecloth.  It's at the link I gave you above.  I fibbed above, that link for crochet only doesn't sort by publication name (I'm not sure what the sort is; I usually look at this link which includes more than crochet).  The publisher is  American Thread company, book name is  Star Bedspread and Tablecloth Book No. 109  (you can probably search on '109' and find it quickly).  The motif looks identical, or nearly so.  The way the motifs are connected is slightly different.

It could be that the design was 'recycled' and changed a bit from another book, I've seen that more than once.  Example, I made a (very unique/unusual) doily from a book circa WWI, and a few years later found the identical doily used as a pin cushion cover in a 1950s book.  The publishers were different, which I thought was interesting (maybe one bought out the other).  

It's also possible your Grandmother liked the motif but borrowed the connection scheme from another pattern, or made it up herself.

Archived