Pattern Clarrification

LilyM

Question

Hello,

I'm just looking to get some clarification for a pattern. I have attached the pdf of the pattern - it should be fairly simply but there are a couple of bits that I'm uncertain on.

The pattern starts with chaining 141 then a foundation row of dc in each chain which all makes sense. Then it says the following:

3ch, 1tr into first dc. * Miss 2ch, 3tr into next dc, rep from * until last 3ch. Miss 2ch, 2tr into last dc on row and turn.

I understant the chain 3 then triple into the top of the first double crochet form the previous row. Then I'm a bt confused, does "Miss 2ch" mean chain 2 whilst skipping the underlying dc?? Or skip the next two stitches or just chain 2 or something else??

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

Lily

granny_blanket_small.pdf

5 answers to this question

Hi Lily, welcome to the Ville!  Per the site guidelines, found in the town hall section, its best to link to the site the PDF is on rather than the PDF itself.  

The pattern is in UK terms, not US.  Not sure which you are used to.....U.K. Tr is us double, U.K. Double is us single.  Miss means skip, so just skip the two chains, don't do anything there.  

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome - sorry I didn't realise re: the pdf. The link is here:

http://www.blacksheepwools.com/media/wysiwyg/granny_blanket_small.pdf

Yes, when I say a triple I'm referring to a US double. The thing that is confusing me is I am not sure what I am supposed to skip. It says 'Miss 2ch' does that mean skip the next two stitches. Or skip one and then chain two?? I've always seen it written as skip stitches or spaces, but never as skip chains...?

Thanks,

Lily

Brits talk funny (kidding, Americans do too...I used to work for a UK company, actually Scotland and got used to all sorts of oddments of speech)...and now my spelling sense is all messed up and I tend to say 'wee' for 'little' and get funny looks.  Anyway... UK patterns use the word 'miss' where we in the US would say 'skip'. So skip 2 stitches, 2 tr in the last stitch (US DC).

Welcome to Crochetville!

Magic and GS already gave the right answer, but I'm going to add the why.  When something doesn't make sense, I usually try to write it out.  UK terminology is something that often confuses me.  You're making an afghan by doing rows.  Each row needs to have the same number of stitches.  Since you're increasing (3tr in one stitch), it makes sense to skip 2 stitches afterwards.  That way, you're making 3 stitches for every 3 stitches on the foundation row.  So, "miss 2ch" = skip 2 stitches in US terms.

UK: 3ch, 1tr into first dc. * Miss 2ch, 3tr into next dc, rep from * until last 3ch. Miss 2ch, 2tr into last dc on row and turn.

US: Ch 3, 1 DC into the first SC, * skip 2, 3DC into the next SC, rep from * across until last 3 st, skip 2, 2DC in last SC, turn.

Archived