Looking for a rose granny square blanket pattern

Crochetks92

Question

Ok everyone. I'm new to the forum. And I was trying to remember what was the only pattern that has a rose motif that starts in the middle of the rose ( I don't know how many chains it calls for to make it into a join chain aka circle join) and then you double crochet like 5 or 6 stitches and then u put a single crochet between the petals and then you continue the rose in a circular motion and if I remember correctly the rose has to be in a 5 to 5 inch across. And then you crochet green yarn as the leaves around it along with the white or Aran ivory colored yarn and then after making the rose center that's connected to the green and cream color yarn you connect the squares with a yarn needle with the yarn to make the afghan. And I don't remember the type of pattern it is. I know it was popular back in the early 1960s to the early 1980s and I think it was developed in England. Idk.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  There are tons of patterns for squares that start out with a flower shape.  There is a site called Ravelry that has a database of pattern listings; you might want to look over there.  Here's one search to get you started http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&craft=crochet&pa=motifs&pc=blanket&page=1&sort=best&query=rose

Some of these will be free online, some are in books, some are no longer available, so you'll have to sort through.  You can change the attributes used in the search to find other possibilities.  And remember, you can use whatever colors you want, a different weight of yarn too, so the pattern photo doesn't have to look exactly like what you remember.  

Looking thru Magiccrochetfan's link above, I picked out a couple of likely free patterns that sound close to what you are looking for.  

On the Lion Brand yarn site; you need to register to get the pattern:  http://www.lionbrand.com/crochet-pattern-rose-square-baby-afghan-1.html.  I think the yarns they call out may no longer be available (and might be baby weight), but you can sub other yarn and hook of course, and make the round under the rose in green for 'leaves'.  The style of rose is based on the classic 'Irish Rose' pattern.

Another free one from a different yarn company, this one is in squares done in the round but more 'petal-y',   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/b16-18-baby-bloom.  This one uses yarn from a Scandanavian company, but again you can sub what you like.  

Like Kathy just said, there are many types and styles of Granny Rose squares out there. You might try a general search on the Internet with "crochet Granny Rose square" or "crochet Irish Rose square" and some patterns are sure to pop up. Hopefully it will be the one you seek.

Archived