Fox ears

Crocheted-fool

Question

I've got an idea...But i don't know how to execute it or if I'm over complicating it.

(Please help!)

I'm making a little fox and the pattern wants to me to do the ears by folding a circle, which is fine.

I'm just trying to work out how and where to change colours so it's white in the middle, orange on the outside and black t the tip. (Without doing the white separately and having to see it on afterwards)

Am i right in thinking i basically start my circle with the black and change to orange where i want, and where i want white i do a wedge of white? Would that work? 

I feel like it sort of should, but don't want to waste all that time for it not to work 

4 answers to this question

Doesn't it tell you where to change colors?

I'm trying to picture this ear...I'm guessing it's folded in half so the 'backside' of the crochet work will be on the inside?  And then folded again into quarters, but not completely, so it looks like a 3D ear?

If it doesn't tell you and my guess above is accurate, what you described sounds like it would work.  You could just carry the orange across the back of the circle when you work the white wedge, and the carried color wouldn't show if it was inside the fold. If you TURNED the piece every round, the correct color would be waiting for you at the correct point on the next round.  If you keep the same side facing you for all rounds, on round 1 you'd drop the orange to work the white, then at the end of the white pick up the orange again (which is carried across the back.  But on the NEXT round you'd have to pull the white back from where you ended on the prior round, to to the point where you need to start it on the next round.  So if you turn, you only need to carry 1 color; if you don't turn, you'd have both colors crossing behind the white, adding bulk and looking messy.  I know this sounds confusing; try a little swatch and you'll see what I mean.

It sounds complicated, to me. If you do decide to make it in 2 pieces, make the outside with 1 rnd black, rest orange, like you said. Then make a simple triangle in white. Include the white when you whip stitch the ear closed. 

Triangle:  sc, exsc, hdc, dc, exdc, tr, exdc, dc, hdc, exsc, sc row. (Or any combination from small to tall and back down.) To make it rounded, add 1-2 of the tallest stitch in the middle. To add size, make an SC row first. You can also add a slip stitch row last to make it sturdy, polished. 

Archived