eBay question

LINDA RICHARD

Question

Hello ladies,

I would like to ask any of you selling on eBay American girl items, if u r doing well or if you have a special item you are specializing for AM dolls... 

I am having second thoughts about sewing or crocheting for this doll or any doll....  I have been a quilter for many MANY years and seems I just can't get into it... I was looking for something I could bring with me while I am taking chemo which is 4-5 hours.... but I look on eBay and see sooo many sellers...and can't find something different than what is on eBay ...

would like any opinions and your personal thought.... just don't want to copy cat and compete.... hooo hum... 

thank you ladies

Linda from south Louisiana 

10 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I don't make doll clothes, nor do I sell anything that I crochet.  However, I have an opinion on the topic.  First, I want to say that I'm sorry to hear you're going through chemo.  I hope it works!  I'm saying a prayer that your health returns to normal soon.

Do you sell your quilting?  Or do you do it because you enjoy quilting?  Crocheting is no different than any other craft.  If you're doing it because you love it, then that feeling of "just can't get into it" won't be there.  If you're doing it as a job, it will feel tedious.  My sister quilts for Connecting Threads.  I hear a difference in her enthusiasm when she's working on something for her job vs. when she's making something just because she wants to make it.  My advice is to make what you love to make, then if you find that you want to make more of it, look into selling on Etsy.  Handmade items seem to sell better there, than on eBay.

There are a few women here that design doll clothes and even more that make doll clothes.  A lot of patterns have a disclaimer that says you can make the pattern for yourself or as gifts, but not for resell.  If you're going to design your own pattern, you can do what you want with what you make.  If you're going to use someone's design, you need to check that the designer is okay with their pattern being made and the items sold.  If the pattern doesn't have a disclaimer, don't assume it's okay for selling.  Please contact the designer and ask.

That's my :2c.  Good luck with the chemotherapy and whatever you decide to do!

I don't sell my crochet either. But I know that I go to ebay looking for the cheapest price on a item so if there are a lot of listings for doll clothes it could be hard to make sales. I look at etsy for handmade items and think that quality is more valued there and so I expect to probably pay more.

Are you looking to make money or just work on portable projects? Hats or scarves for charity are an idea for the latter.

Thanks for responding...

i want to do both... make a few $$$  colon and breast cancer victims that fall between the cracks. I am low income senior in a low income apartment I am fortunate that Have a good friend supporter but others don't, 

i met 2 ladies who husbands left them and became homeless.  One living in her van and the other about to move where I live... and need everything... furniture etc... 

i have a lot furniture to share  but not much $$$... and I have a lot of yarn stached away, :) I can use..  

this is all something I jumped in without thinking first... didn't realize there was so much out there... need to do better research... and thought here I might get better perspective... of you ladies thoughts and maybe ideas... 

thanks again

hugs Linda 

Red rose, thank u for reminding me of wanting and must do... 

i do have a few lap quilts made and will look into this esty later tonight... need to make NOT spend $$$ ... and might have better chance on esty... 

thank you for directing me in that direction...

hugs, Linda 

I make quite a few doll clothes each year to donate to a local charity at Christmas.  It takes time and I can't imagine trying to sell for a profit.  It is my hobby and I love it and the feeling I get from knowing girls will get baby and 18 inch dolls with clothing and accessories for Christmas.  However, what it costs me to make the clothes would make it impractical to even recover the costs if I tried to sell them.

I will say if you do want to make money you need to find the right market and have something people are willing to pay enough to make it worth your time and costs.  I've seen some really beautiful stuff at craft shows and even as a crafter who knows what the stuff is worth in terms of the supplies it took to make it and the estimated time it took to make it I rarely purchase doll clothes at events because I buy gifts for kids not collectors and the prices are just not a match for the purpose.  There are collectors who will pay, but you have to match what they are seeking.

Thank you Bailey, I will rethink all this.... and u do make sense with all....think I will make as manyquilts as I cAn and give them to miles perret for auctions and maybe the AM girl stuff I already have made...and ask them to give extra attention for my 2 new friends I made... thank u again, Linda 

Sending strength and healing vibes to you. :hug

I wasn't sure if you were thinking of hand quilting or crocheting during chemo--have you had your first session yet?  I took something to read with me when I went thru this nearly 20 years ago, one hand was hooked up to the process and I don't think they'd have let me do either, nor would I have wanted to risk it.  Maybe your setup is different.

Good advice above.  What occurs to me is that, tho AM dolls are popular, as a quilter you might have a bigger buyer audience interested in something like tote bags, purses, diaper bags, tablet or laptop carriers and the like.  

On 6/7/2017 at 11:22 AM, Granny Square said:

I wasn't sure if you were thinking of hand quilting or crocheting during chemo--have you had your first session yet?  I took something to read with me when I went thru this nearly 20 years ago, one hand was hooked up to the process and I don't think they'd have let me do either, nor would I have wanted to risk it.  Maybe your setup is different.

I had to have blood infusions and many iron infusions several years ago, and they put the needles in my arm where it wouldn't interfere with my crocheting--bless their hearts!  It usually took 3 to 4 hours each infusion, and I would have gone bananas without my crochet!!! :yes  I think they suspected that....!!!

Archived