Stuck on this stitch

Christine Honeycutt

Question

13 answers to this question

Here is a handy link, it tells you the grammar and punctuation of crochet patterns, and how to handle asterisks, brackets and so on (scroll to a little past halfway down the page)

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Parentheses most often are used to tell you to do several steps into 1 stitch.  Brackets are usually used to tell you how many times to do a certain group of steps.  Asterisks tell you to repeat, but parentheses and brackets can be nested inside of a repeat following an asterisk.

On something this complex, it might help to write it out in little steps.  However, there is 1 line that is odd, see my second note in red below:

Ch 1,

(sc,ch 5, sc) in same st,

ch 3

* everything below this will be repeated to the end of the row

skip next 2 sc,

(sc in next sc,

ch 3,

skip next 2 sc 3 times,  Why not say skip 6 sc?  Unless the next stitches in the row below are 3 groups of 2 sc and another stitch between(example 2sc, ch1, 2sc, ch1,2sc)

[sc in next sc, ch 5, skip next sc, (sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc) 4 times] across to corner.

Welcome to Crochetville!

What are you making?  Do you have a link to the pattern?  If no, what's the name of the pattern, book/magazine, date (magazine only), designer and anything else that would help us find it?

I read it differently.  I don't think it's a skip 6 sc.  I think it's (sc, ch 3, skip 2) 3 times.  I find that writing confusing instructions in detail helps me.  Here's my interpretation written out ...

Ch 1,(sc,ch 5, sc) in same st, ch 3 * skip next 2 sc,(sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc 3 times, [sc in next sc, ch 5, skip next sc, (sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc) 4 times] across to corner.

1. ch 1
  2. sc, ch 5, sc in same stitch
  3. ch 3
  4. skip next 2 sc
  5. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  6. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  7. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  8. sc in next sc, ch 5, skip next sc
  9. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  10. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  11. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  12. sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc
  13. Repeat steps 4-12 until you reach the corner.

I think there may be a mistake in the pattern.  If you follow it as you have written, then you'll be skipping 4 sc, 2 at the end of step 12 and 2 in step 4, between the repeats.  That's odd.  I think the repeats should be steps 5-12, instead of 4-12.  I would write the contact on the website, if you got it digitally, or the book publisher, it you got it hard copy.

hi Christine, welcome to the ville!  I just want to piggyback on what Granny Square and RedRosesdz already posted....

it would be most helpful to know the name and location of the pattern.  It looks like you left out a parenthesis in typing it.  there could be other errors in the pattern itself.  

Often it is very helpful to write out the pattern for yourself in complete words, and/or to draw yourself a little diagram of it.  Also, are you familiar with patterns the show the stitches via symbols?  like this https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=708&type_id=S   these can be really helpful as it is easier to see the "rhythm" of the pattern and the specific stitch placement.  there are many patterns that provide symbol diagrams, and I usually look for those, or at least a good clear photo of the item where I can see stitches.  

I agree I think it's (sc, ch 3, skip 2) 3 times. But there are [ ] so wouldn't the repeat be between them. this would make it more uniform 

Ch 1,(sc,ch 5, sc) in same st, ch 3 * skip next 2 sc,(sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc  ) 3 times,>> sc in next sc, ch 5, skip next sc, (sc in next sc, ch 3, skip next 2 sc) 4 times  ] << repeat between brackets across to corner. 

sometimes * show up in strange places and dont mean what we think and we have to guess what they mean or there might be something missing from the directions here.. In this case to repeat from the * wouldn't make sense to me.

Before the first [ you have 4 ch 3 sections  then the ch 5 etc.  with 4 more ch 3 sections so if you repeat between them it will be in sequence.  sorta reminds me of the jacobs ladder but different.

Could be a baby blanket by looking at the OP's profile.

She hasn't been back I wish she would and answer our questions.

Finding it hard to crochet now so am searching the web instead for a pattern with  something like this.  I wondered and thought maybe it could be a round on a fancy square and I did find a few that have something like it.  Its a mystery that I wish the OP would return and solve. 

Ah, totally overlooked the missing ), that would make sense.  Except for the punctuation omission,I don't think it's written incorrectly, but a stitch diagram alongside would be worth a million words.

With the ) in there, this is what I'm coming up with - it is symmetrical, so you'd repeat everything after the initial ch-5 loop.  I'm guessing the next corner will start with a 5-chain loop to match.  (The rightmost loop has 5 chains, sorry it's hard to get it to behave in the scanner).  So the repeat is four 3-chain loops with 2 stitches between, one 5-ch loop with 1 stitch between, and four 3-chain loops with 2 stitches between.

scan0005.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>With the ) in there, this is what I'm coming up with - it is symmetrical, so you'd repeat everything after the initial ch-5 loop.  I'm guessing the next corner will start with a 5-chain loop to match.  (The rightmost loop has 5 chains, sorry it's hard to get it to behave in the scanner).  So the repeat is four 3-chain loops with 2 stitches between, one 5-ch loop with 1 stitch between, and four 3-chain loops with 2 stitches between.<<<<<<<

That's what I got but  I also wonder If that's the first row/rnd or what row/rnd it is as  it says to sc in sc sk sc etc. so there must be another one or more  before that one. 

Sarisue, since it said 'repeat to corner' there must be more repeats than what I did (I just did what was written, no repeats) I'm guessing it's past the center round... assuming the pattern is referring to corners in the prior round(s)...?  

Redrosesdz, possibly (and who knows), but (guessing again) circle to square would make more sense if just the corners had bigger loops (like this pattern)...and it says to repeat to corner, so who knows how many tall loops were there between corners.  Maybe it's turning a square into a circle!

Yeah, the pattern in your link is what I am thinking. The round that turns the link's picture into a square looks just like your swatch.  There may be an explanation that says that the ch 5 is a corner. Then used the term corner in the instructions. 

I know this is driving us all nuts, but without knowing what it is, we're just speculating. I'm going to try to stop thinking about it.  Lol

Yea trying to stop thinking about it is not working. ha ha.  I was thinking along those lines too but  thats also what confuses me  as it says across to corner,  which is hard to know what corner and  there are a  number of squares similiar that do that.

square

Archived